1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

looking for grip like this

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rolling green, Mar 4, 2013.

1. rolling green

rolling green Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    I'm a previous owner of the HLD grip but returned it due to the bulk it added. Also I did not like how it blocked the battery port. Does anyone make a grip that attaches firmly to the side and not the bottom of the EM-5? I know the picture below is probably a prototype but I like how it attaches to the strap hole an doesn't block the the bottom or add any unnecessary bulk.
    Also if anyone knows where to buy a thick center pinch lens cap and hood like the one pictured below please let me know. THANKS

• Like Like x 1
  2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    +1

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Geez - it looks like the E-M5 is prepped for going into battle. Is that the Bat-Cam?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I want to buy that. I bought the HLD6 and now i totally regret it. great grip, but too much bulk and weight, plus the battery block and also cant use my fn2 and rec button for custom functions.

6. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    there's this one. It's not quite as small, but you can still get at your battery and it has a plate built in.

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
  8. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    thanks for the other grips guys. I know I'm probably not going to find a grip like that. How about the hood? Would love a lower profile cutout hood like that, anyone know?

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    so where did you get that prototype?. or the person that did that is not going to produce it?

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    This "grip" has no mechanical integrity, unless you are willing to glue it to the camera body. This looks like it's just a mock-up. It also has an odd combination of being square and form fitting at the same time.

Nice idea to cover up the stupid eyelet.
    Bad idea not to provide an alternative...
    Rudy

11. poilmb

poilmb New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2012
    the hood looks really nice

12. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    saw it here grip but the translation is pretty poor.

13. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    I recommend checking out RRS grip (not my photo, credit to the author) with base plate. Adds very little bulk and battery can be replaced without removing it. You can also add a side plate if you want to later. I have it and I also have OEM grip which I bought recently because I got a good deal on it. Honestly, I think I will stay with RSS and will sell OEM grip at some point. I do like the extra button on OEM though, but removing it each time I need to change the battery is annoying.

14. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
  15. rolling green

Dec 31, 2012
    city of chi
    Wow impressive. Really like the button extensions for the playback and f1 buttons

16. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I love the OEM second shutter button, in the natural location it needs to be for exceptional comfort; positioned where the index finger naturally goes. Removal of grip for battery swap is something I've gotten used to. I get a whole lot of those comfortable shutter clicks per removal.

17. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    This is the best looking grip I've seen, what a great idea screwing it to the strap connecting hook. I'm afraid that may not be strong enough tho especially with larger lens, but it does look sleek without needing bottom portion. I'll be ordering this if available for purchase ...

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    What I like about this grip is that it doesn't add any height to the camera, like all the ones with a base plate do. I just wish Olympus had made the OMD grip swappable, like they did for the E-P3 and E-PL5. A beefier grip would add essentially no bulk to the camera since it won't protrude beyond the lens, yet would help handling. Oly could learn something from Sony here.