1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for flash recommendation

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by WithOpenedEyes, Jul 17, 2015.

1. It's been a long time since buying my last external flash and much has changed. I'm trying to stay under $150...trying...and would at least like the usual features including swivel head. Don't need remotes. Just looking for some extra lumens in a reliable product. Used to just buy the old standby Vivitar 283...talking early 80's now. With all the new players..Nissin, Neewer, Yongnuo, etc...not really sure what to get. Need to order on the 21st to have it for that coming weekend for an event. Thanks in advance.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do you need TTL?

Barry

3. I'd like TTL. I know someone that has a Metz 48 AF-1 and doesn't want an arm and a leg for it. At least it's a brand I recognize...lol.

4. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    If you can find the FL36R used, then this is a great option in my opinion. You need some good batteries like Eneloop from pana to ensure an acceptable recharge time. But the flash works great and is light because of only packing two batteries. Can be found used for about USD 100 I would think.

5. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    I've been using Youngnuo 560III & 560IV & 560TX for several months now for portraits and events and love them!

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I'd suggest that you buy it. I have one of those that I got IIRC for about $90 on eBay. It's got plenty of power with tilt and swivel for bounce. The user interface is a little obscure though. You can download a user manual and read for yourself. I basically only use it on manual and the only change I make is the power setting, so that's not an issue for me.

In my experience Metz has always made good stuff. They used to be premium priced but now that the OEMs have raised their flash prices to rapacious levels the Metz prices don't look too bad.

7. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Get the Metz ! Quality German gear.... Otherwise Fl36

8. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Is the 560IV TTL on Olympus cameras or all manual? If the latter, what's the benefit over the 560III?

9. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    No TTL. The advantage is that the 560IV has a transceiver built in vs. the 560III only has radio receivers. So for example with architecture, product, and portraits I use the 3 560III and 1 560IV units triggered by the 560TX. At events requiring off camera lighting I distribute the 3 560III units around the venue then control power with the 560IV mounted on camera with the head swiveled back over my shoulder for bounce.

10. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Sorry, so both are TTL or only the IV? I get the xceiver vs. receiver part.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    No TTL with any Yongnuos.

Barry

12. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Oh jeeze, just re-read the post I asked. It literally says No TTL. I'm not sure if I read that as No, TTL or what but gotcha! No TTL :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Well, I ended up getting a Metz 50 AF-1 after a bit more looking around. Used, in great shape, for about half it's new price in it's day. Have absolutely no regrets..works great. Saved my bacon the other day when I needed it for indoor-ish shooting was needed. I'm impressed.

14. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    It happens. :)

15. Thing that's odd this year is that for the third time, I've planned/found just the right piece of gear for shooting an event..and it's worked out almost perfectly every time. Got a nice deal on the used Pan 45-150 just when I needed it, the Rokinon 7.5 just when it was needed, and now the flash. Hope this a trend. Beginning to think someone's looking over my shoulder.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Metz make great gear! I use Olympus flashes but Metz are about the only other brand I' d consider. Used to have the 45CT5 hammer.... Great flash. Hope it gives you years of service.

17. I'm feeling pretty confident about it. I'm not into using a flash all that much...more of an available light kinda guy. But there are just some times when it's the right thing to do. I just experienced one of them.