1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for "carry around" M43 option

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by karlbown, Dec 8, 2011.

1. karlbown

karlbown New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2011
    I own a couple of GH2s and a GH1 which I use for making videos, mostly interviews, short sketches etc. and I am very impressed with them. For the money I don't believe you can beat them for quality. I've already got a Pana 20mm and 14-42 lens as well as a selection of Canon FD mount lenses and adapters (so addictive buying Canon FD glass!)

I'm now looking for a more day-to-day stills (mostly) camera, smaller than the GHs, lighter and cheapish. I was thinking of perhaps a used GF1 or GF2, but the Olympus cameras have also caught my eye. I'd want to have something I feel I can take with me everywhere without it taking up too much room but I don't know enough about the Olympus range to make a comparison size and feature wise. I generally have everything on manual when shooting but it's not an absolute must.

The image stabilisation on the Olympus models looked interesting, would it help while using a Canon FD lens?

Any recommendations or alternatives to the GF1/2 that might be in my budget from the Olympus range?

Thanks in advance

Karl

2. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Hey Karl, I'm doing the same with my GH2/GH1 combo. I've got the GF2 as my carry around option, typically with the Panny 14/2.5, 20/1.7 and/or Oly 45/1.8. It's a very capable little setup - not quite P&S size but small enough to carry on a wrist strap when going shopping. It always makes its way into my messenger bag.

I'll push it to ISO800, but once I go above that I usually convert to B&W. If I hadn't gotten the GF2 so cheaply - $379 with the 14/2.5 earlier this year - I'd definitely be looking at the GX1 and/or G3 right now. I've held the G3 - it's clearly smaller than the GH bodies, but I'd actually pay the premium for the GX1 and the slightly smaller still form factor.

Good luck!

3. karlbown

karlbown New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply John. The GX1 looks interesting, small but good functionality, but is probably outside my price range (and I'm not even sure it's out yet over here in the UK?) especially when I can pick up a GF2 body for the equivalent of $200 US here which seems very cheap.

Have you tried any non M43 lenses on the GF2? I'm wondering how it would handle with a weighty 150-300mm zoom lens on it, probably look pretty funny with more lens than body :) Though I'd probably stick the Panny 14 or 20 on it, that seems more sensible lol

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One thing about the Olympus cameras is that they don't skimp on features no matter what level you're buying. You might just lose out on some external buttons and wheels, but you can still access everythin through the convenient Super Control Panel. What that means is that you can get the cheapest, slimmest, lightest Olympus (like the E-PM1 for only $450) and still have all the full features and functionality, but you might have a different path to change things than say the E-PL3 with more buttons or the E-P3 with more buttons, wheels, and touch screen.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't tend to use any m4/3 lenses on my PEN. There just isn't the full range that I use available yet. I consider Four-Thirds lenses like native lenses though, and I do have a number of those which I use on the PEN, as well as Olympus OM, Konica AR, Leica screw mount, Contax/Yashica, etc.

The largest lens I use regularly on the PEN is the Zuiko ED 50-200mm SWD f/2.8-3.5. I find it quite comfortable to use with the tripod mount attached (the tripod mount is important for wrist/hand support to free the fingers for operating the zoom/focus rings).

zuiko_50-200mm_swd_web.

6. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    I just checked my Lightroom - I've taken exactly 21 photos using the GF2 with the 14-140 zoom. It handles ok, but I like the added stability of using a viewfinder with longer lenses.

My rule of thumb is that if I'm going to commit to bringing a zoom I might as well bring a better-matched body (read GH2).

One trick that I'm starting to use more frequently with the GF2 and primes is Ex Tele Conv. Sometimes it gives me that extra bit of reach when I need it. You gotta shoot smaller than full sensor JPGs to use it, but it works in a pinch.

7. karlbown

karlbown New to Mu-43

Dec 8, 2011
    Ned, thanks for that. The Olympus stuff does look nice. How good is the Stabilisation? Does it work well with non M43 lenses?

8. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Not wanting to hijack too much, but is that a feature specific to Lightroom or is are you just thorough in your tagging of files?

I was going through my photos the other day and was thinking now handy it would be to be able to search by camera/lens/etc.

I don't do much organising beyond a batch rename with my files, using either A Better File Renamer or PS-elements.

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I have no problems carrying this around. E-P1, 17mm, 45mm, VF1. No bag needed. A zoom (kit, wide or long) wouldn't take up much more room than the 45 and vf in my pockets. Before I had the 45 I used an OM 50/1.8. IS worked just fine.

New rig by Mark Bowerman, on Flickr

An E-PM1 or GF-3 would give you an even smaller package.

10. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's in the EXIF data...

6482161407_7db529ec64_b.
    2011-Metadata by john m flores, on Flickr

11. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    Sorry, I wasn't more specific. I know it's in the EXIF, but how do you search via it? It is because all of your files are organised in Lightroom, I'm guessing similar to how they were in things like iPhoto previously?

It would probably be worth shelling out on Lightroom to get that function! lol

12. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The GF1 and GF2 are terrific. The GF1's tend to command a premium used and the GF's have been selling at huge discounts so I'd say the GF2 would be a better option. It's got HD video is a smaller than the GF1 and if you can live with a few less buttons is a wonderful little camera. That said, I would go handle one if you can. I ended up selling mine not because of flaw in the camera but because it was a bit too small for my grip. One of the attractions of the compact cameras is the small size but you need to make sure you're comfortable with it. I say this as a G2 owner, it took a bit of getting used to using a compact camera and in the end I picked up the slightly older E-P1 as it fit my hand a bit more comfortably.

13. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

A bit related but how does the GF2 compare to the E-P1/2 size wise?

14. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    It's easy. Pick a folder. Click on Metadata (at the top of the screen grab). Choose your columns.

• Like Like x 1