Looking for Bag for Event Photography - Weddings etc -

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dlhomesolutions, Jan 30, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hey everyone.

Does anyone have a suggestion for decent quality bag that will hold the following?:

Omg-Em5 ii
    PL5
    Fl-600r
    Panasonic 45-200
    Olympus 45 1.8
    Panasonic 25 1.4
    12-42 kit ( I will probably rent the 12-40 pro for the weddings)
    Olympus 40-150
    Samyang 7.5mm fisheye
    Gary Fong Lithosphere diffuser

Edit: not to mention I have 3 batteries for each camera and 2 chargers total

2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I would highly suggest a rolling bag out of which you can work. I use a think tank equipment manager 30 which is a bit large but carries what I need and meet a couple of critical event requirements...
    - Rolling
    - Ability to lock and secure via cable
    - When laying flat and open the lid provides good storage like a laptop lid opening. S from the side
    - Built to last
    - Replaceable wheels
    - can carry a lighstand, if you need it.

My bag is ridiculously heavy but I find that having everything in I e secure place is worth it.

Other brands worth considering are Tamarac, Manfrotto, etc.

A quick scan of B&H should give you a reasonable selection.

Im very biased toward Think Tank and recommend you check out their site as well.

3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    Having done more weddings than I care to remember, I'd say you need to think very carefully. I've used rollers, big bags, small bags, belt pouches and more and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I didn't like rollers because I didn't like dragging them across damp grass to many of the locations we'd need to shoot.

I didn't like big bags because they got heavy quickly!

I didn't like the belt pouches because I was forever having to pull them up ;) 

My favourite bag for M43 is the Lowepro NovaSport 17L AW. I can carry a flash, two bodies and 5+ lenses, 6 batteries and vari-nd filter without too much trouble at all, though I don't think it's going to accommodate the 40-150 f2.8. I'll know more in a couple of weeks, but it does carry the Lumix 35-100 no problem.

There maybe a slightly larger version but I haven't checked. Hope I don't have to buy a new bag when the 40-150 comes because I love this bag!

4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The Tenba Cooper series bags might be worth a look. They have the new silent Velcro which would be a plus for weddings. But, all that gear would be a lot to carry over the shoulders, or even cross-body.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I use a rolling bag for my events, but I also use a Nikon FX system for those events.

I won't recommend a specific bag since you can get them from $50 - $500. But what I would recommend is a bag with simple and easy access, slots for each individual item and not a lot of stacking. In my rolling bag I have no lenses stacked, no bodies stacked. About the only stacked thing I have is my 3rd flash is laying on top of my back up 70-200 (I have both the f/2.8 and f/4).

Examples: Domke F-2 type or Lowepro Stealth Reporter and Commercial AW (the commercial aw was my favorite shoulder bag before I got a rolling bag).

The problem with these examples is they are sized for DSLR so they swallow m4/3 stuff. But they should give you an idea of what I mean.

6. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    Take a look to the PeakDesign Everyday Messenger. You can use their Capture clip to hang the bodies on the exterior of the bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.