Looking for Bag for Event Photography - Weddings etc -

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dlhomesolutions, Jan 30, 2016.

1. dlhomesolutions

dlhomesolutions Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2013
    Peoria, IL
    Hey everyone.

Does anyone have a suggestion for decent quality bag that will hold the following?:

Omg-Em5 ii
    Panasonic 45-200
    Olympus 45 1.8
    Panasonic 25 1.4
    12-42 kit ( I will probably rent the 12-40 pro for the weddings)
    Olympus 40-150
    Samyang 7.5mm fisheye
    Gary Fong Lithosphere diffuser

Edit: not to mention I have 3 batteries for each camera and 2 chargers total
  2. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    I would highly suggest a rolling bag out of which you can work. I use a think tank equipment manager 30 which is a bit large but carries what I need and meet a couple of critical event requirements...
    - Rolling
    - Ability to lock and secure via cable
    - When laying flat and open the lid provides good storage like a laptop lid opening. S from the side
    - Built to last
    - Replaceable wheels
    - can carry a lighstand, if you need it.

My bag is ridiculously heavy but I find that having everything in I e secure place is worth it.

Other brands worth considering are Tamarac, Manfrotto, etc.

A quick scan of B&H should give you a reasonable selection.

Im very biased toward Think Tank and recommend you check out their site as well.
  3. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Having done more weddings than I care to remember, I'd say you need to think very carefully. I've used rollers, big bags, small bags, belt pouches and more and they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

I didn't like rollers because I didn't like dragging them across damp grass to many of the locations we'd need to shoot.

I didn't like big bags because they got heavy quickly!

I didn't like the belt pouches because I was forever having to pull them up ;)

My favourite bag for M43 is the Lowepro NovaSport 17L AW. I can carry a flash, two bodies and 5+ lenses, 6 batteries and vari-nd filter without too much trouble at all, though I don't think it's going to accommodate the 40-150 f2.8. I'll know more in a couple of weeks, but it does carry the Lumix 35-100 no problem.

There maybe a slightly larger version but I haven't checked. Hope I don't have to buy a new bag when the 40-150 comes because I love this bag!
  4. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    The Tenba Cooper series bags might be worth a look. They have the new silent Velcro which would be a plus for weddings. But, all that gear would be a lot to carry over the shoulders, or even cross-body.
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I use a rolling bag for my events, but I also use a Nikon FX system for those events.

I won't recommend a specific bag since you can get them from $50 - $500. But what I would recommend is a bag with simple and easy access, slots for each individual item and not a lot of stacking. In my rolling bag I have no lenses stacked, no bodies stacked. About the only stacked thing I have is my 3rd flash is laying on top of my back up 70-200 (I have both the f/2.8 and f/4).

Examples: Domke F-2 type or Lowepro Stealth Reporter and Commercial AW (the commercial aw was my favorite shoulder bag before I got a rolling bag).

The problem with these examples is they are sized for DSLR so they swallow m4/3 stuff. But they should give you an idea of what I mean.
  6. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    Take a look to the PeakDesign Everyday Messenger. You can use their Capture clip to hang the bodies on the exterior of the bag.