Looking for Arca Swiss compatible tripod head

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jon595, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Now that I have my JLM grip that has a built in Arca Swiss mount, I'm thinking of updating my tripod head to one that accepts an Arca plate. I currently use a Benro Travel Angel TRA069 with a head that uses one of the smaller Quick Release systems.

Does anyone know of a decent quality head that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? While an RRS head would be awesome, I just cannot justify the cost of them for the amount I use a tripod. I'm only putting micro 4/3 gear on it, so I don't need something that holds 40+ pounds.

Here is one that I found so far: Amazon.com: Fotopro 51G 51-G Arca Compatible Panning Tripod Ball Head Pan: Camera & Photo

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can also buy any head and put an inexpensive Arca mount on it.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I have a Benro BH-1 that came with my Travel Flat tripod and it is quite decent. I would prefer a BH-0 just for the lighter weight but I have not actually tried one.

You probably know this, but I'll mention it anyway. AFIK all the Arca-Swiss clamps require that you turn a tightening screw after putting the plate into the base. So they are not really "quick release" like the Manfrotto RC2 or the Gitzo system.

IMHO the clamp-type designs are a PITA to use, especially with a monopod where you'll need three hands: camera, monopod, & clamp screw. If I were in your situation I would be trying to adapt the grip to a "real" quick release system. That's what I did with my BH-1. The clamp-type base and a couple of plates are gathering dust in a drawer. Going this route would be cheaper for you as well, assuming you just buy a QR plate that suits your current ball head and put it on the grip.

4. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    I'm not too worried about it being a true 'quick release' as when I do tripod work, quickness doesn't worry me. I'm more wanting this so that I don't have to attach another plate to the camera to have it stay on a tripod.

Thanks for the info though.

5. tomrock

tomrock Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
  6. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Thanks for the tip on the RRS ballhead, but that was a bit more than I wanted to spend. I took a chance and ordered one of these from Amazon...

Amazon.com: EzFoto Arca Swiss Type Compatible Ball Head, with Quick Release Plate: Camera & Photo

Just got here today and I'm actually very impressed with it considering it was $28. The head feels solid, the knobs feel pretty good and it holds my heaviest combo (E-M5 + 45-200mm) with no issues and no movement. The Arca-mount is very nice to have as I don't have to screw one of the other quick release plates to my JLM Grip. So for now, this will be good enough. Thanks for the suggestions.

7. Collin Orthner

Collin Orthner New to Mu-43

Aug 13, 2012
    I've been using this Joby by Gorillapod for over a year now and it performs very well. You likely won't be able to use large lenses, but for most everyday shooting it's great.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  9. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    BH-25

Lhin, the RRS BH-25 is very nice, and yes it will hold at least 9 lbs easy. Well made ,smooth and locks tight. Some do not like the single lock for panning and tilt. Depends upon your needs. Weighs only 1/4 lb.
    Great for M43 and Fuji x aps-c cameras.

Dennis.

10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Check out the Sirui C10 ball head. I got mine with a Sirui tripod, but you can buy this head separately now. IIRC, you can buy it for ~$80 from B&H.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!