1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for an OM-D charger replacement

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigbluebear, Jul 2, 2013.

1. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Hi!

New member here and a new owner of an OM-D. I've been shooting full frame canon for a few years now and finally plunked down some change to purchase an OM-D.

Unfortunately, the camera I purchased is missing the OEM charger. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good aftermarket charger? From looking online, the OEM charger runs about $40-50.

Thanks!

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'm using the Wasabi and it works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

3. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
  4. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Yes, I agree with those above, wasabi charger and get some of their batteries too. You can get the charger and 2 batteries for way less than the price of one OEM battery.

5. JJP

JJP New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2013
    Just want to throw another comment in here saying that as far as I know, the three mentioned by Bigbluebear are the only ones that work for the OMD. Other third party chargers will only work with their respective batteries, even though the batteries themselves work just fine in the OMD.

6. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Denis
    How is the runtime compared to the OEM battery, folks?

I somehow lost a gear pouch the other day that contained a bunch of doo-dads including the OEM battery for my OM-D. The aftermarket batteries I'm left with are junk.

7. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I used the OEM battery and then a Wasabi battery during an engagement shoot not too long ago and mine lasted just as long before both dying.

8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Does the Wasabi charger charge the OEM batteries fine?

9. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Yes.

10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Anyone have experience with that Ezo charger linked in the OP? It's dirt cheap, and I'd love to have a non-corded charger to keep in my small camera bag. (I was a bit disappointed my EP5's supplied charger requires a cord.)

11. bigbluebear

bigbluebear Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone! Wasaaabiiii charger ordered!:2thumbs:

12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Spend the money and get the OEM charger. The aftermarket chargers do not fully charge the OEM battery. Anyone want to make me an offer on four lightly used Wasabi batteries and several chargers?

13. slappy

slappy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    Guildford, Surrey, UK
    I'm tempted by a spare battery. The other day I left the house "fully charged" according to the bars on the camera (battery had been in for a few weeks but camera not used), and it was down to nearly empty after about 10 snaps.

But, I want to travel light with just one charger. Will the batteries listed here charge in the original charging unit? Conversely, will the original battery
    charge in the alternative chargers?

14. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    I purchased two EZO batteries thinking they would charge in the Olympus charger (that's how they were promoted). They do NOT. However, I had a Wasabi charger and they do charge in it. I also purchased a plug-in connector that replaces the cumbersome Olympus cord that came with the charger. It works great and takes up little space.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Dave,

How were you able to determine that the chargers were not fully charging your OEM batteries?

--Ken

16. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Can you provide more information about this connector? It would be nice to have an alternative to the long cord.

Thanks,

--Ken

17. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Ken, I'm looking. Will let you know as soon as I can find where I got it.

18. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Conntek 30001 traveler adapter. You'll find it on Amazon. Good luck!

19. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I had been charging my OEM batteries in my aftermarket chargers, but noticed that the OEM batteries did not seem to last any longer than the aftermarket batteries. So I charged some OEM batteries in aftermarket chargers until they indicated full charge. I then placed the batteries in OEM chargers and found that they were not fully charged, but took an hour or so more to go all the way to full charge.