1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for afordable wireless strobes with wireless power adjustment

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by imahawki, Aug 16, 2015.

1. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't need TTL or anything fancy, I learned how to shoot manual with strobes long ago. But what I do like is the ability to change the power of strobes from my camera. So I'm looking for a system that will allow me to wirelessly (RF, not IR or pre-flash sync) control probably just 2 strobes and change their power output from the camera.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, from the camera menus, or is from a controller in the hot shoe ok?

If the latter, look at the Yongnuo 560TX, and matching flashes.

Barry

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    http://www.radiopopper.com

You'll just need to make sure that whatever flash guns you are using are instructed on the power to fire at based on the signal from the quench pin.

4. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    I don't own any speedlights yet. So I'm looking for a whole system.

I don't need it to control it from the camera menu, in fact for manual flash, I figured that would be a no-go. I don't want to go Olympus because of the cost and the fact that the wireless feature is IR or flash driven and doesn't work outdoors very well.

I'd rather have something where the receiver is built into the speedlight. I've looked at Yongnuo, Cactus and LumoPro. I'm not sure the LumoPro are remotely controllable for power level but they are the recommended speedlight from the Strobist blog guy. Yongnuo seems popular but I'm not sure about the quality. I know very little about Cactus but I own a pair of their old lower-end triggers that are dumb just RF triggers.

Regarding the YN560-TX, Amazon sells one for Nikon and one for Canon. What version do us m43 shooter buy?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  5. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen
    Chris
    I haven't tried the 560-TX (yet, looking to buy one), but I have been using their speedlights for a couple of years and I haven't had any issues. I've dropped them multiple times, mine use as heck has taken a good beating. I'm looking to pick up a the IV as I'm very satisfied with the quality.

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    re Yongnuo, Canon version for mu-43.

BTW, there is also a Yongnuo flash with the controller built-in, if you want an on-camera flash instead of just the controller on-camera.

Barry

7. imahawki

imahawki Mu-43 Regular

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks, I'm leaning heavily towards the Yongnuo then.

8. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I use the cactus v6 system. Works well on by my E-M5, E-M5II and Nikon D750's. I like that I can set ratios, control output and still have a flash on the hotshoe.

For example, If I'm working an event, I might need a single on camera flash to run through cocktail hour but have to bounce out as the family wants some portraits mid-hour before the full party begins. It allows me to setup a couple of strobes in a separate location and turn off those channels and shoot while roaming, then as needed, turn off the hotshoe flash, on with the remote channels and I'm all set and ready to go without thinking.

Cactus also has good support for the hotshoe flashes, though the FL-600R is not supported via TTL my Metz 58AF-2 for Oly is. Further, I use a Nikon SB-800, SB-900, SB-910 and Metz for Nikon as well with no issues.

It's the only remote controller that I know of that handles output on camera while still retaining a hotshoe capability while providing relatively broad third-party flash support.

You can buy a kit package from them with some discount as well, though I only found out after the fact.

BTW, if you are thinking about studio strobes, Alien Bees Eintsteins are awesome (I have 4). However, I raise this as Phottix has studio strobes and hotshoe flashes that can be triggered via the same trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1