Looking for advice... Sell GH2 for EPL5

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by xxjorelxx, Feb 9, 2013.

1. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    So I own a GX1 and GH2 but I rarely do any video recording and what little recording I do is normally just recreational. I simply dont use the GH2 to its full potential so I was considering selling it to fund an EPL5 or maybe test the waters in our sale forum to see if anyone would be interested in a trade of some sort. I've kind of been curious to see what kind of pictures I can produce with a camera equiped with IBIS since I almost always shoot with primes. I've also looked at the other older epl models but naturally i'm drawn to the newer model. I also have rather large hands so having the bigger EPL5 grip would help a little. I breifly considered the Epm series but was not too fond of the external controls (or lack of) on the Epm's. In short, I just don't use the GH2 as much as I thought I would and instead considering replacing it with another body I think I will get more use out of. Am I being logical in my thinking or is this just a silly idea? Any advice is welcome.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    The only lens in your kit that might need IBIS is the O45 the rest are too short or got OIS, the IBIS will might help you with approx one stop, you can earn this stop on the GH2 by shooting through the EVF.
    If you do not use two bodies now why would you think use it with the EPL5.
    The GH2 is not only about video it got better handling then most other :43: cameras and good IQ.
    I would do this trade only if you want another small body and don't care losing the EVF.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    EPL5 and GH2 are pretty different cameras. Moving down to the EPL5 you lose size, grip, better movie mode, multi-aspect sensor. You gain smaller size and probably marginally better high ISO. You do gain IBIS, but it's not the OMD's IBIS.

The lateral move for IBIS only upgrades is to the OMD, though if you think the GH2 is too big for you, then an EPL5 w/larger grip is a nice step down size-wise.

[​IMG]

4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    Thanks for the advice guys. Elavon, I see your point with stabilizing my photo's by using the LVF. I probably just need to work on my technique. Actually, I know I still have to work on my technique... I sometimes still get blurry shots even with my OIS lens :redface:. At this moment, I havent made up my mind in trading or replacing my GH2... I was just toying with the idea. I think my curiosity is just getting the best of me and making look for other ways to achieve better pictures. I know I know... its not the camera, its the photographer... lol but after reading a few article and seeing some sample images, I just couldn't help but wonder what I could do with IBIS. My GH2 was just the casualty of my curiosity. I know the GH2 is a capable camera from reviews I've read online but I seem to be getting the same quality pictures out of my GX1 which in turns makes me grab the GX1 more often when heading out the door.

5. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    John, I do not know what is your shooting style, but if you can get a tripod or monopod get one. It will give infinite stabilization. I have got one 6 month ago and it improved my shooting efficiency, I am now able to shoot in situation I could not shoot before.
    Yesterday I have shoot, using the OM 50 plus a 2X multiplier in a sunny area by the beach, I have used tripod as a monopod because I was shooting flowers in near macro range. Before I connected the tripod I had about 50% blurred photos while using the tripod is went to almost 0. Support is the best IBIS/OIS.

6. aimawayfromface

aimawayfromface Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2012
    In that case, definitely stay with the GH2; the E-PL5 has very fiddly handling and buttons I would classify as "dainty." The only reason to get the E-PL5 would be the smaller size since the IQ is not going to be a whole lot better.
    And by the way IBIS on the E-PL5 doesn't work that well due to shutter shock; I have it turned off most of the time and get better results that way.

If you're really GASing for it, try to wait a few months; the prices may drop when the E-P5 is announced.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I have the E-PL5 and just picked up the G3. The G3 is easier to handle since it just fits in your hand better. I find it's nice to shoot the PL5 by flipping the screen horizontal and holding it near the waist. This gives you a much steadier stance than the arms length position. I really like the IQ and low light capabilities of the PL5. Oly/Sony did a great job with this sensor. Give the E-PM2 some more thought. I have an E-PM1 (which has less external controls than the PM2) and it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. With the PM2 touchscreen, it should be even easier. It's a bit cheaper and you could put the money toward the VF3/used VF2 viewfinder. In either case, they are easily coat pocketable.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    flippy and touch screen is money.