Looking for advice in Bangkok.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 少林chris, Dec 28, 2013.

1. 少林chris

少林chris Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles / Copenhagen

We seem to have a fairly large Thai community here so I'm hoping for some advice regarding my trip to Bangkok in a couple of weeks.

How popular is M43 photography in general in Thailand? Will it be difficult to find stores that stocks native lenses and such for our system?
    Besides online, it's nearly impossible to find anything related to M43 here in china.

If possible, where would be some specific stores in Bangkok that I could check out. Perhaps a camera shop that carries native lenses for rent. Is it even possible?

And would there be any secondhand camera markets for legacy glass and such that's worth visiting?

Thanks for any help,

- Chris
  2. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    i wouldn't not go to bangkok, thailand right now, cause of the political unrest. If you do go don't wear red or yellow clothes.:thumbup:
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I could give you lots of recommendations in Bangkok, but none of it relates to buying cameras and lenses - and the last time I was there pre-dated the popularity of mirror-less cameras. I would suggest that the danger to tourists from the political unrest is probably over-stated, but that's only the case so long as the King remains alive - he's old and frail, and if he were to die in the near term, all bets would be off.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    It is perfectly safe to visit Bangkok at the moment. The street protests are very friendly but do tend to mess with the traffic a bit.

There are plenty of shops to buy Olympus and Panasonic M43 gear. Probably the best place to go is Fortune Town which pretty much has a whole floor devoted to camera gear with perhaps a dozen shops selling M43. Panasonic stuff is pretty cheap - probably a 10% discount to the US. Pix-one is one of the cheapest shops to buy from. Olympus gear is a bit more expensive - maybe a 10% premium to the US. Mind you you should be able to claim back 7% VAT when you leave the country. More exotic M43 gear is more difficult to come buy although Avcamera (avcamera.com) does have Voightlander and SLRmagic lenses. They are also one of the few shops that sells second hand M43 gear.

I dont know of anywhere that rents native M43 gear.

Second hand legacy is available - Fortune Town or MBK are your best bets.
  5. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    m43 is popular all over Asia. Certainly much more so compared to North America.

Almost all of the camera and electronics shops stock cameras and lenses. The big malls like Central World have many camera stores. PowerBuy also carries most of the popular lenses. But the prices in those places are comparable to what I see here in the US.

Panthip Plaza has lots of camera shops as well.

Where is Fortune Town? I've never heard of that one.
  6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Fortune Town is on Rachadapisek Road between the Grand Mercure Hotel and Tesco Lotus - it is right beside the the Rama 9 subway station. It is relatively new as a major IT Mall - probably only be around about two years.

It certainly has the biggest collection of digital camera shops in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand. While there are quite a lot of places you can pick up M43 in general, you will find it pretty hard to find things like the Panasonic 12-35 or 35-100 outside this Mall. The Mall also stocks things like ONA bags, Billingham bags and 'eye-fi' cards that again I think you will find hard to buy elsewhere in Bangkok. The IT part of the Mall is a little smaller than Panthip but it has a lot more camera stuff and quite a lot less computer stuff (although prices are generally cheaper for computer stuff than Panthip). Quite a lot of the Mall is given over to mobile phones too although it is not as big as the 4th floor at MBK.

Prices are very good in this Mall. Take a look at the prices from Pix-one.

Thje 12-35 2.8 is Bt27,900 which is US$900

Over at Avcamera

It is Bt43,900 (although I am sure you will get some discount) which is the recommended retail price in Thailand
  7. Satanico

Satanico New to Mu-43

May 3, 2012
    Are there any ohter places to buy Olympus lenses?

I'm looking for the 12-40mm.

I saw it on AV camera for 35.000 Baht. Are there any places where I can get it cheaper?

Would appreciate your help!