1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for Adapted Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by nuclearboy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Hello,

I am considering trying a non m4/3 lens (read much cheaper legacy lens) for my E-PL1. I have the kit lens and the Pan 20mm and the 40-150.

I am thinking it would be nice to have something in the 30-45 mm range that I might use for portraits. I wanted a faster lens than the kits lens.

My newbie question is, what specifically does it require to use these lenses as far as camera controls go. I know I need the lens and the adapter. Now what.

Will the camera set shutter speed automatically if I choose the f-stop.

I assume I will be manually focusing. What I want to know is what the camera will do for me.

2. Olympus cameras will automatically accept the use of a manual lens. As long as you are not in the 'M' mode the camera will still meter the scene and choose the shutter speed for you. Metering accuracy deteriorates down if you are wanting longer exposures using small apertures in low light.

3. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Thanks,

That is what I was hoping. If I set and f-stop and focus the photo, the camera will do the rest.

4. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    I have a 50mm (seems to be the ideal starting focal length for portrait lenses) Canon FD kit lens that clocks in at F1.8. At least it was a kit lens in the 60s and 70s.

It's pretty effortless (aisde from the obvious manual focusing etc) to use this lens on the E-PL1.

It's actually turned out to be alot more fun than most point and shooters would probably appreciate. And the pictures that come out of this old lens are top notch. It's nice when you don't have to cram a lens full of microchips and focus motors.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris

I was looking at the Canon Lens. The 50mm f1.8 seems like a popular used lens. Where did you get your adapter. Is there anything I should look for in an adapter. What is the specific adapter name for these old canon lens.

6. petach

petach Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2011
    UK
    I got a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 for very little difference in price to the 1.8. I get really good shallow depth of field from it.

See below!

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnkYavRlTKY]YouTube - Panasonic Lumix GF2 + Canon FD 50mm f1.4 lens[/ame]

7. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    You can also shoot in Manual, if you use an external meter.

I would recommend a Canon FDn 50mm f/1.4 with Fotodiox (USA available) adapter. YOu can find a ton of these lenses on eBay and the adapter on Amazon. Best bang for the buck, I believe. Awesome image quality and amazing DOF control with that 50/1.4.

I use mine with GF-1 and GH-2 and they have a one-button focus assist magnification feature which is wonderful, and as soon as you have focused with the magnified image, just touch the shutter button and regular mode resumes and you take the picture. EASY! I'd say go forth and make it happen. You're sure to love it... especially for portraits with shallow depth of focus.

Some examples of the Canon FDn 50mm f/1.4 wide open
    P1010034.

P1000746.

P1000755.

• Like Like x 2
  8. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I too am a fan of the Canon FD 50mm f1.4. So inexpensive, beautifully-made and lovely feel to the images.

5474068059_23d0c41889.

5506883353_5c119d8ed9.

• Like Like x 2
  9. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Exactly, although I also like to keep control of the iso too.

I'm not sure about the E-PL1 but the manual focus assist is implemented differently on the E-P1 to the Panasonic. You can still get the magnified view for focusing but to revert to normal view to compose and shoot you press the okay button. If you press the shutter button, it takes the photo. This is fine if you have adjusted the focus point (which is easy to do) so that the composition is perfect but I think the Pana implementation would be better for me.

On the other hand, if I don't have the lens all the way open so there is bit of depth of field, and there is decent light, I can focus okay without using the focus assist magnification at all.

10. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Here's an image made with the GH2 and the Canon 50/1.4

P1010210.

• Like Like x 2
  11. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Thanks to all of you for the good advice. I am looking for a lens on Ebay now.