Looking for a very fast telephoto lens

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Good luck, I hope all goes well for you.
I found this thread especially interesting.
Right at the end, I learned monopods are for use with big heavy tele lenses. I didn’t know this. I will never own either, but do love the look.
Good luck with your photography. Fingers crossed for you on the wild pics.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Thank you, sorry for going all cuddling and stuff at the end :p

I haven't focused on making pictures in almost a month now and it is getting quite depressing, but luckily I have 10 days off coming up next week and I do intend on doing some deer hunting (I shoot pictures only, I will never harm an animal EVER) and if not I am going to look for some squirrels to get with fall colors (October is my favorite month of the year).

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That would be a good consideration, I wonder if there's acceptable AF performance on Canon EF mount, it would be a nice bonus. A 170-415mm f 2 lens would be quite versatile.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/af-c-performance-on-em1-2-with-adapters.104888/#post-1305905

Some non identical photos with close crops in this post as well:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/sigma-336-840mm.104711/#post-1302495

Works good enough for me, at least in my specific configuration. It is a fairly large lens still and in no way is it lightweight. It is very flexible however since it could be between f/1.8 to f/4, depending on how much I want light or reach.

Note: That was tested on the old Metabones firmware. I have yet to try it out with the new firmware which includes a "native" lens emulation mode which changes C-AF behavior significantly.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
Very interesting idea, to cancel the TC and the Speed Booster to keep the natural focal length of the lens. I have noticed some strange look to the background in a few of your shots, is it from applying sharpening to the entire image without a mask or some kind of posterization of JPEG compression/uploading compression? Or maybe a side effect of bending the lens optical formula so much. But I think it can be fixed in Lightroom with an adjustment brush with -50 Clarity and +50 Noise Reduction on just the background.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Very interesting idea, to cancel the TC and the Speed Booster to keep the natural focal length of the lens. I have noticed some strange look to the background in a few of your shots, is it from applying sharpening to the entire image without a mask or some kind of posterization of JPEG compression/uploading compression? Or maybe a side effect of bending the lens optical formula so much. But I think it can be fixed in Lightroom with an adjustment brush with -50 Clarity and +50 Noise Reduction on just the background.
It probably is jpeg posterization. I notice it on some LCDs but I don't notice it on the desktop IPS panel I use.

I tele-neutralize because I found the plain tube Viltrox I own does not perform as well as my Metabones adapters when it comes to driving the lens for AF. I will have to get myself a plain tube Metabones later, as I found that the Olympus MC-14 works great with lenses in terms of optical performance as a teleconverter, it actually beats the very nice Sigma TC-1401 (has a good amount of elements for correction, SLD element as well) that I have and the non protrusive Kenko Pro 300 1.4x that I also have.

Last edited:

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Good luck, I hope all goes well for you.
I found this thread especially interesting.
Right at the end, I learned monopods are for use with big heavy tele lenses. I didn’t know this. I will never own either, but do love the look.
Good luck with your photography. Fingers crossed for you on the wild pics.
Sports photographers were using them in the 1970s to support the big telephotos on the sidelines.

My aluminium Gitzo dates back to the early 1980s when I was shooting a variety of motorsports for two magazines.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom