Looking for a very fast telephoto lens

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I'll see how many organs they require to buy :p
Nikon made a 300 f/2 IF ED which, speed boosted, would yield a 200 f/1.4. There are three on eBay at the moment, starting from £10,000. Only 7.2 kg! If you can live with a bit slower aperture, the Canon EF 200 f/1.8 is just £2300+ and 3.0 kg. ;)

It may not be what you're looking for but I feel I should point out I quit chasing aperture in long glass with the switch to digital. For a given front element size, lenses tend to fall into four price and weight equivalency classes. It's inexact, but these series are roughly a stop apart:
  • 300 f/2, 400 f/2.8, 500-600 f/4, 800 f/5.6
  • 200 f/2, 300 f/2.8, 400 f/4, 500 f/5.6
  • 135 f/2, 200 f/2.8, 300 f/4, 400 f/5.6
  • 135 f/2.8, 200 f/4, 300 f/5.6
One can spend money, size, and weight to move up a stop in lens speed or one can spend money (but not really size or weight) on a body to move in ISO. Bodies depreciate faster than lenses so moving in ISO tends to be cheaper, especially if one's wanting to maintain or improve other parts of the photographic apparatus such as autofocus or lens sharpness. Personally I've moved from a manual 400 f/4 with Astia 100F film in full frame to the 100-300 f/4-5.6 II and 16MP m43. That's two stops less lens but it's about four stops in ISO plus a couple more in OIS plus the lens is sharper and cheaper with more reach. And it's 520 g instead of 3 kg.

In your case, budget seems to be limiting to about one stop of lens change. However, those same funds could be allocated towards the stop of ISO available from updating from the E-M1 as well as potentially obtaining 1-1.5 stops' tripod avoidance by adopting dual IS. I recognize the used cost of these bodies likely exceeds the lens costs you're considering but I think it's worth making an informed decision about the opportunity costs investing in a stop of lens now for this winter would generate relative to investments in other stops.
Claff E-M1 I II G9 DR.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As you've pointed out, there are low cost alternatives like ISO bracketing or mitigating going a stop up ISO by pursuing noise reduction in software. It's also probably worth considering what you want to do with the lens. If the motivation is wildlife the best thing I've done is to pick up some binoculars I like and carry often. Don't take quite as many pictures but I spend more time getting better views and am less disruptive than I ever was with a big lens.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I’ve got a monopod, useless really.
I used to think so, too, in my film days.

But in the IBIS era, I find a monopod provides enough support for a heavy lens to make it worth while, while letting IBIS "fix" any lateral motion problems.

This (posted earlier in another thread) was done on a monopod. I got a relatively inexpensive Manfrotto carbon fibre one that is light, but sturdy. I never go anywhere with my 350/2.8 without a monopod!
Heron 2.jpg

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Have you already picked out a lens? This might be a bit short, but really it's very close. The Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4 primes are under $300 and get you 170mm FOV with f/1.4 light gathering.

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the Nikkor 300mm f/2

I don't know many were built but it wasn't many. A lot were converted to fit movie cameras. I never used one but used to know two sports photographers who used one. The consensus at the time was that the depth of field was so shallow a lot of the time they were stopped down a stop. So there was no reason to haul around such a big lens when it was being used at f/2.8.

D

Deleted member 29285

There is also the Tokina AT-X 300/2.8. Around $500 US (plus or minus), and available in various mounts including OM, Nikon etc.
I have one in C/Y mount, very impressed with the image quality, and quality of manufacture. I have a couple or so pics somewhere on the forum

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
you could stay with Oly and look at the OM 300/4.5
That is actually a fairly impressive lens, for a bargain, these days!

I got one as part of a "whole system" buy from a pro who was going Canon. I rarely used it; I found it very subject to vibration on the OM film bodies — likewise with the equally affordable 600mm ƒ/6.5. The situation wasn't much different with the 4/3rds E-1, E-300, and E-3.

But both of those do an outstanding job on the OM-D E-M1.2 with silent shutter.

For someone seeking reach on a budget, I think finding a 600/6.5 would be the thing. With a focal reducer, you'd have 420mm at ƒ/4.6. There's one on KEH right now for $399. Not as cheap as the 300/4.5, but an extra 120mm at the same aperture.

The worst thing about the 600/6.5 is the non-standard 100mm filter size. I can't even find a nice pinch cap for it, to replace the aluminum screw-in cap.

Another one to consider (which I think @3dpan has) is the Olympus OM Zuiko 500mm ƒ/8 Reflex. It is, bar none, the finest mirror lens I've ever used. (I've kissed a lot of frogs, hoping one would turn into a princess.) With a focal reducer, it makes a nice 350mm ƒ/5.6. But no aperture control.
Ketch A038513.jpg

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you shop around, you can find the old first generation Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 for around $1000 or less. On a focal reducer that's a 85-213mm f/2. Of course the flipside is it is a ginormous lens that takes 105mm filters.

D

Deleted member 29285

Another one to consider (which I think @3dpan has) is the Olympus OM Zuiko 500mm ƒ/8 Reflex. It is, bar none, the finest mirror lens I've ever used. (I've kissed a lot of frogs, hoping one would turn into a princess.) With a focal reducer, it makes a nice 350mm ƒ/5.6. But no aperture control.
View attachment 779006
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do have the OM 500/8 reflex (mirror) lens, and I can confirm it is a great mirror lens. I also have the Zeiss Mirotar 500/8 which in my opinion is just slightly better in contrast and resolution, but not enough to justify the inflated price now being asked for the Zeiss.
I find a 500/8 mirror lens (with its 1000mm equivalance) quite hard to use on m4/3. I'm looking forward to the time I can use it with a focal reducer, 350/5.6 should be a lot easier to handle.
The OM 500/8 Reflex is very well made and the best value mirror lens. (IMHO, of course).
Definitely a good investment.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I find a 500/8 mirror lens (with its 1000mm equivalance) quite hard to use on m4/3. I'm looking forward to the time I can use it with a focal reducer, 350/5.6 should be a lot easier to handle.
In bright conditions, with IBIS, I don't find it terribly difficult. I use focus peaking to get my subject "range" in focus, and then don't focus much afterwards.

This was with the OM Zuiko 500/8 with no focal reduction, from the deck of a moving boat, even. I shoot with both eyes open, and have trained myself to "see" with one eye or the other at will. This means you can quickly shift between the lens and the scene, easily correcting when you "lose the subject" in the lens.

whale tail.jpg

But yea, a focal reducer makes it easier to frame and focus — but you lose a lot of reach!

I find that, with this lens, at least, the ~$120 Viltrox EF-M2 Mount Adapter works almost as well as the Metabones Speed Booster, at four times the price. (The Metabones easily beats the Viltrox on wide lenses, though.)

Last edited:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
They're on evilBay for around a grand, and I got a lovely one from KEH for $800.

Around 1000£ would be an acceptable and affordable price for a high-end prime telephoto lens, at least for a non-profit enthusiast like me. I would have to stay with Olympus's OM-D line even if most of the lenses I'm interested in are Panasonic's range.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Have you already picked out a lens? This might be a bit short, but really it's very close. The Rokinon/Samyang 85mm f/1.4 primes are under $300 and get you 170mm FOV with f/1.4 light gathering.
Haven't decided yet, I was thinking of 85mm as well, going to wait to see when a Four Thirds mount model will show up on eBay as I already have both the Panasonic and Olympus 3rd version adapters.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Or, if you want the reach and can compromise on aperture, you could stay with Oly and look at the OM 300/4.5. Atound $200 US for a nice one,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NearMint-O...563955?hash=item4693834373:g:eE4AAOSwkAxcWrhU
Check the date stamp on the base of the lens, it's a '93 model.
One of my hopes this winter is to get some wildlife battling the snow (if there's going to be some snow this year in South West of UK). I'm quite fond of small birds in snow and possibly foxes (though that might be too hard to get without some serious time dedication, same with deer).

While reach would be nice with overcast and snow it might be hard to get enough light to even get ISO 3200 or 6400 with proper exposure.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
If you shop around, you can find the old first generation Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 for around $1000 or less. On a focal reducer that's a 85-213mm f/2. Of course the flipside is it is a ginormous lens that takes 105mm filters.
That would be a good consideration, I wonder if there's acceptable AF performance on Canon EF mount, it would be a nice bonus. A 170-415mm f 2 lens would be quite versatile.

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Around 1000£ would be an acceptable and affordable price for a high-end prime telephoto lens, at least for a non-profit enthusiast like me. I would have to stay with Olympus's OM-D line even if most of the lenses I'm interested in are Panasonic's range.
I couldn't find what body you're using.
If you have an OM-D E-M1*, you've got PDAF, and the superb Zuiko Digital 150mm ƒ/2.0 will autofocus quickly, via even a cheap 4/3rds—>µ4/3rds adapter.

On all other µ4/3rds bodies, the autofocus will be very slow.

Latest threads

Top Bottom