Looking for a suction tripod to mount on car's engine hood

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by quatchi, Mar 12, 2013.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

I am looking for a (not so expensive) car "tripod". By that I mean a suction thingy with a ball-head on it. The background: I would like to mount my camera on my car's engine hood and snap some picture while driving (at slow to moderate speeds - no "autobahn" involved :biggrin:).

Can anyone recommend something in that area?

Weight wise, I am planning to mount my G1 with 14-45 or 20mm on it. Occasionally maybe the E-M5 as well (although I would be more afraid in case something goes wrong).

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    How about something like the Delkin Fat Gecko? I don't have any personal experience with this product, but it looks like it would suit your purposes and the feedback from other users that I've seen around the web seems pretty decent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you for the link, DeeJayK! I will check out some reviews concerning it.

In the meantime I've found this smaller one from Cullmann (CULLMANN Foto | Video :: CS33 Suction pod). It would suit my purpose better as I intend to take it on travels with me. Unfortunately I haven't found much tests or reviews on the web. Especially nothing about the carrying capacity (Cullmann lists 3kg, but...).

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I have a small Cullmann table-top tripod which has a rated capacity of 1kg, and I have no issues using that with any of my gear. It seems to be quite well put together and I believe that Cullmann has a decent reputation for producing quality gear. An OM-D plus Oly 75-300 (probably the heaviest lens listed in your sig) is going to weigh less than 1kg, so I wouldn't really have any qualms about the 3kg rating. That said, it would be nice to find someone who's actually tested the thing before you put your camera on it and the single suction cup worries me a bit -- I'd feel better about having two connection points.

Delkin's also got a single suction cup mount that you might want to take a look at if portability is a concern. They state that it has been "tested with devices up to 4 lbs. (1.81 kg) in weight."

• Like Like x 1
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    If you want to tailor something specific to your needs, the RAM mounting stuff is very good.

I'd start with a couple of suction cups: RAM 3.3" Diameter Suction Cup Base with Twist Lock I would not put a camera on the outside of a car with just one suction cup.

RAM sells a connector bar for the cups but you could probably make one too and attach whatever tripod head you like.

I have used the RAM stuff for mounting tablet computers and GPSs in airplane cockpits and have always been pleased with the performance. Probably the toughest part of the exercise is wading through their web site trying to find and understand the incredible number of components they have. RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you are going to shoot static, in other words the car isn't moving, then a single cup mount would work fine. If you are shooting while the vehicle is moving you need a dual or tri-cup mount! If one cup gives, the rig is still intact. I think you can imagine what would happen with a single cup at speed.

Oldracer gave an excellent source for affordable suction cups, you can easily make a mount from those.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have the Cullman - it's well made and very solid. The suction cup holds extremely well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    You are certainly having a point there. That's why I am still hesitating to order the Cullmann for instance. Them RAM stuff looks nice. There is, hoewever, a "rady made" solution: Cinetics miniSquid As I already own a gorilla pod, the price range would be nearly the same (especially as B&H has a $25 discount at the moment). On the downside, though, shipping and taxes to Germany (there is no local reseller) almost triples the discounted price. :frown:

Does anyone have some experience with those?

9. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Thank you for your response! Did you also test it on a moving car?

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That will not hold the weight! The suction cups look like good ones but even the add says it will only support 1.5lbs{.7kg}. I would be afraid of it coming loose if it isn't rated for the weight.

I realize you are on a budget but skimping here could cost a LOT more in the long run. I found several that would be far better. The first one is the Delkin Fat Gecko dual cup mount which sells for $70 US.
    Fat Gecko Dual Mount - Delkin Devices

I also found this on ebay
    Camtree G 51 Car Camera Suction Mount Cup for Canon Nikon DSLR DV HDV Camera | eBay

It would be a far better solution but is a bit more.