Looking for a small, light camera: E-PM2 vs GF6 or ?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by mgs, Dec 2, 2013.

1. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Hi all, first post here.

Have a GF5 that I've had for almost a year that I dropped and the touchscreen no longer works, (rest of the camera works fine so have been using it for over 6 months like this) so I recently got a G5 as an "upgrade" but I didn't realize how big and heavy it is (bought online without checking it out in person), I knew it would be bigger/heavier from the specs but this camera just completely misses the point for me (for me being the key words) of using m43. (Yes, I know it's smaller than a comparable DSLR)

So it looks like I can either just keep using the GF5 or get an EPM2 or a GF6 (the GM1 is more than what I'd want to spend but looks like almost the perfect camera for me).

1 key question I have is will I see a noticeable IQ improvement on the EPM2 vs the GF5/GF6/G5 due to the sensor while using the same lenses?

As far as lenses, I have the plastic Panasonic 14-42 and the Panasonic 20.

2nd question is for what I'm looking for (small/light, I have no need for a VF at all, would prefer built-in flash but not a deal breaker (EPM2 doesn't have it, I know), would like in-camera HDR (again missing in the EPM2) but again not a must have) are there other cameras you would recommend? I was thinking possibly a GX1 also... thanks.
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It won't be long before the GM is reduced in price. If you can wait it is the smallest and lightest M4/3 body. Here is a picture comparing it to the G6{the G5 is almost the same size}.

With the GX7 out, the price of the GX1 has come down a bunch. It is however a mid-size m4/3 body being about the same size as the E-PL bodies and just smaller than the E-P. It is a bit bigger than your GF.
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    GF5 was Tiny. EPL or EPM, or another GF
  4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Sell your current camera and get a used PM2 until the GM1 becomes cheaper. When it does become cheaper, sell both the PM2 and the 14-42 and get the GM1 and the 12-32 that might come with it.

The PM2 still has advantages over the GM1. Someone ran through them today and I forget all, but the hotshoe is one, IBIS is another, and better high ISO performance.

But for me the GM1 has the flash, optional grip, and looks cooler.

I have a PM2 and think I will keep it, however. The fact that most lenses don't have IS means that the PM2 + 20 will beat GM1 + 20 in low-light by about 1 stop because of the better ISO performance and by another stop at least due to IBIS.

I wish they made a small PM2 size body with 5-axis, same sensor, and a flash and dials like on the GM1. Maybe next year :)
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    IQ improvent is subjective and depends on how you use your camera and how you like the pictures from your 12mpx GF5, especially the colours and whitebalance behaviour.
    The GF6 has the 16mpx sensor from the G3 & GX1 which (if whitebalance isn't being screwy) can make nice colours and decent detail and the RAW files have plenty of dynamic range.
    Thje e-pM2 has (in most departments) an even better 16mpx sensor but a slightly different colour 'look'. The menus and controls can be quite different to the Panasonics though and some folk much prefer one over the other.

6. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    The GM1 or GF6 will focus your 20mm f1.7 faster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Mu-43 mobile app
  7. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I'd wait till either I saved up for the GM1 or till it dropped in price. Seems by early reports to be a fabulous camera and would be perfect for you.

8. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Look out for GM1 deals, it's the Holidays. Or wait for it to drop price. IMO, it's a better choice than the GX1.
  9. mgs

mgs Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    Thank you everyone!

I just picked up a refurb E-PM2 from the cybermonday 25% sale for $270 + tax! Now I need to sell my old cameras but I see this is how people end up with multiple cameras (if they get lazy about selling them).
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I keep mine because they all excel at doing different things.
    Check what you really liked from your GF5 and make sure this new e-pM2 does it at least as good before selling.