Looking for a simple easy to use editor, preferable free

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been using Picasa for 99% of my school pic editing, because it is fast and easy.
But it does not have one control, to adjust the exposure or highlights down. Sometimes I want the highlights toned DOWN, but the only option is UP. And there is no overall exposure adjustment.

The second reason, is that I am looking for an EASY to use editor for the students at school.
Except for that one issue with bright highlights, I would use Picasa at school.
Kids have SHORT attention span, so anything requiring involved learning won't fly.

thanks

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks John,
I downloaded it and it seems good. And does a few things better than Picasa.
But it is missing one item that I found useful, a "white balance." As in click on a white/grey/black spot and it will make it a neutral white/grey/black. I found it useful to quickly remove the color cast caused by shadow or reflection. But I might be able to live without that.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If your school uses Macs then Preview's adjustment tools might suffice:

1629733583351.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
If your school uses Macs then Preview's adjustment tools might suffice:

View attachment 904559
If you are using a Mac, then the iPhoto or Photos application (depending on your OS) will be more useful than the Preview control panel. Tons more control, more options etc.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Thanks John,
I downloaded it and it seems good. And does a few things better than Picasa.
But it is missing one item that I found useful, a "white balance." As in click on a white/grey/black spot and it will make it a neutral white/grey/black. I found it useful to quickly remove the color cast caused by shadow or reflection. But I might be able to live without that.
Drop a line to the developer about it. He is a very nice, approachable person.

I also made a small donation years ago. From the thank you letter he sent, you would think I had dropped $100K into his bank account.

You can also download a user manual, which is quite useful.

I also have it set up to call Photoshop as the default editor when I hit 'E'.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yes, simple for the kids (very limited attention span for complex lessons), and has to run on a PC (what we have in class).
The other complication is that the PCs are about 10 years old. They are running the Intel "core duo" cpu, not the "i" series.
:rofl: All our PCs are Core2 Duo. They work just fine, as long as they aren't really overloaded.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
:rofl: All our PCs are Core2 Duo. They work just fine, as long as they aren't really overloaded.

Yes, sometimes a challenge, as you sit there and . . . WAIT. grrrr
We are the victim of the school's budget.

At home, for simple word processing and spreadsheets, I could use an OLD PC with a 386SX (I think) and Win XP, just fine.
It is the blasted GUI and programs that use graphics that suck the processing power.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yes, sometimes a challenge, as you sit there and . . . WAIT. grrrr
We are the victim of the school's budget.

At home, for simple word processing and spreadsheets, I could use an OLD PC with a 386SX (I think) and Win XP, just fine.
It is the blasted GUI and programs that use graphics that suck the processing power.
Mine have been "somewhat" upgraded ...

SSDs, as much RAM as they will take, and enterprise level spinners that have big caches on disk. It all helps as they struggle along ... :roflmao: .

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My first computer when I was in grade 6 had a 100MHz 486. But it had DOS 6 and Windows 3.1, not Windows XP.

Even if you don't need the power and speed, using a newer computer with modern LCD might still be worth it for the energy efficiency. Less electricity needed and heat generated than a computer using 386 or 486 processor and a CRT monitor.

My desktop is 12 years old using Phenom II 945 X4. It's time to build a new one, even if I don't REALLY need it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My first computer when I was in grade 6 had a 100MHz 486. But it had DOS 6 and Windows 3.1, not Windows XP.

Even if you don't need the power and speed, using a newer computer with modern LCD might still be worth it for the energy efficiency. Less electricity needed and heat generated than a computer using 386 or 486 processor and a CRT monitor.

My desktop is 12 years old using Phenom II 945 X4. It's time to build a new one, even if I don't REALLY need it.

Back in the day, when I typed on Word or Wordstar, I could not out speed the old 4.7MHz PC with an 8088, and DOS 2.x.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom