Looking for a photography book for a novice

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ballcall2, Aug 29, 2012.

1. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    I am begginer in Micro 4/3. I used to take shots with P&S. I am looking for a book that will teach me the basic principles of photography (Focus, Iso..). The book needs to be available for kindle.
    I found a book called:"Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography"- does somebody knows it?
  2. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
  3. Buddy

Buddy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 27, 2012
    +1 - Great book - I'm in the same boat as you as being a beginner and I picked this up based on recommendations on a good getting started book and it has been helpful, I'm still going thru it actually. Also fwiw there's a book club getting started here that could be helpful as well if interested:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Ansel Adams: The Camera. It's good for beginers up to advanced for all the esoteric knowledge you need to understand the basics of an exposure. Just replace the idea of "film" with the idea of "sensor". Plus you can get it nice and cheap used on amazon. If you like something more modern, "Light: Science and Magic." Mind you I prefer the esoteric straight to the information over authors like Kelby, Kubota, or Peterson and their conversational styles. The conversational "I'm your buddy, so lets chat" thing is so annoying and a waste of time imo.
  5. KH74

KH74 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2012
    Western Australia
    Yes, I have this on my Kindle, its a good book for the price.

I do not recommend the Kindle version of this book - the formatting is terrible and blurry. Grab the paperback version - it's definitely worth it.
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    +4 on the Peterson book.
  7. TonyNorthrup

TonyNorthrup New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2012
    Me vs. Bryan Peterson

I wrote one of the books and read the other, so I'm biased, but I know the content.

The Peterson book is great, and I'm a huge fan of Peterson's entire body of work. Understanding Exposure and Stunning Digital Photography are completely different types of books, though. As the name indicates, Understanding Exposure isn't a general introduction to different aspects of photography, but rather one (very important) part: Exposure. He tells you everything you might ever want to know about various camera settings and exposure, but he doesn't cover general photographic techniques.

Stunning Digital Photography is a general photography book that attempts to teach you just about everything you might want to know: composition, portraits, posing, focusing, wildlife techniques, landscape techniques, night photography, light painting, underwater photography, etc. Of course, I cover lighting, flash, and exposure in there as well.

Anyway, of the two books, I'd recommend starting with mine (or another general photography book) and then moving on to Peterson's if you feel like you didn't get enough of exposure and camera settings. I do strive to tell you everything you need about those topics, so hopefully you won't need the second book.

BTW, my book on the Kindle comes with about 90 minutes of integrated video, links to download the full-sized pictures so you can zoom in and see all the detail, free updates, and personal help for any problems you might run into (via the Northrup Photography FB page). If you happen to have an iPad, though, get the iBooks version. The content's the same, but it's a bit prettier on the iPad :).
  8. ballcall2

ballcall2 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2012
    Thank you very much! I have couple of questions:
    1) Is your book suitable for a complete begginer in photography?
    2) Does your book talks about technical things like focus, exposure, iso, etc?
  9. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Answer to both questions is "yes." It's a great compendium of essential knowledge that's easily understood by a beginner.

BTW, I think it was neat of Tony for stepping in and joining the forum to answer. Would have been nice of him to include a link, but I can readily understand why he did not. So here it is (with mu-43 affiliate link embedded)...

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451565410/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1451565410&linkCode=as2&tag=mu43-20">Tony Northrup's DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography</a>
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum and thanks for stopping by to answer this question. Is your book available through Barnes and Noble? I have a nook and also the nook app on my Motorola Xoom (sorry, not an Apple fan in any way, shape or form! :rolleyes:).
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    While I haven't read TonyNorthrup's book, my experience with several of Bryan Petersens books leads me to the opposite conclusion. Understanding Exposure was FAR FAR FAR better and had more impact on my "skillz" than "Learning to See Creatively" or "Field Guide".

I can not recommend "Understanding Exposure" highly enough. It is truly a fantastic explanation of the interaction between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO - and THAT is what will get you out of iA mode and get control over depth of field, motion blur, and noise/grain
  12. TonyNorthrup

TonyNorthrup New to Mu-43

Mar 10, 2012
    Bobs, other books

Bob #1, thanks for the plug, and your answers are completely correct.

Bob #2, it is available for the Nook. I'd actually encourage you to install the Kindle app on your Xoom and buy the ebook through Amazon, because Nook doesn't allow videos or even links, so the Kindle version of the book is a bit richer.

So I pondered this thread all night (I spend a lot of time thinking about how people learn photography). For those who recommend Understanding Exposure as a first book: Did you also study topics like composition, posing, location scouting, animal behavior (for wildlife), underwater photography techniques, and all the other non-camera-centric topics? If so, how? Or is a mastery of camera settings enough to get the pictures you want?
  13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    For ME, I have a pretty good idea in my mind what I want the image to look like. Mostly just by experiencing art and photos at shows, displays, on here, etc. the big gap was how to do that - how to control depth of field or motion blur and what the tradeoffs were.

I will be the first to admit I'm no compositional genius ... Far from it. I have tried reading books on it, but none (so far) have "clicked" (pun intended). There are just too many exceptions, rules that can work better when broken in certain circumstances. I also think its important for photographers to develop a "style" on their own.

I guess my point is, it doesn't matter how educated you are in the "artistic" aspects if you don't know how to set the equipment to get the effect you want.