Looking for a new Pen...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Exposed, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    So I have had the e-pl2 for almost 3 years now and really like it. But my wife has taken a shine to it, and she is in need of a new camera so my thought is to give it to her and get me a new one (more her idea than mine). My question is, what one to get. My needs are small, better IQ and keep the pop-up flash, not add on as I like the VF-2 that I have.

2. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    E-P2, E-P3 would be a good candidate if you like to retain that pop-up flash, otherwise E-PM1 or E-PL3 is another good consideration as well lots of good refurbished offers going on at Cameta. If you're willing to stretch your budget a bit more you could gun for the OMD body refurbished at the Olympus store black one for $760 assuming you have a build a decent collection of lenses already. :)
  3. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    Yup, If you're trying to stay with the PEN line up, its looking like your best bet might be the EP3. Small, Good IQ, and retains the pop-up flash.... or you could wait it out and see what Olympus decides to pump out in the next few months
  4. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    Personally, I think the E-PL2 is hard to beat. Too bad Cameta Camera seems to be all out of refurbs.
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    If you want to stick with Olympus and have and EVF option and a pop-up flash, the only real upgrades from the E-PL2 are the E-P3 or the OM-D.

The E-P3 has the same sensor as your E-PL2 so I wouldn't expect any real IQ differences. It's also marginally bigger than the E-PL2. The E-P3 does offer a higher resolution touchscreen display, improved ergonomics in the form of an extra control dial and higher resolution video capabilities (1080P v. 720P).

Another option would be the Panasonic GX1 which offers a 16MP sensor which offers higher IQ (at least according to DxO tests). The downside there is that you'd have to purchase a new (Panasonic) add-on EVF which you wouldn't be able to share among your two cameras.

If I were you I might consider hanging onto the E-PL2 and perhaps buying something like an E-PM1 for your wife and then waiting to see what the E-P5 (rumored to be introduced this fall) looks like.
  6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have omd and just bought a e-p3 last week, e-p3 has fast focus and nice oled screen, build-in flash (also has RC mode), 2 control wheels, much easier to operate than all other pens, except OMD.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - I really like my E-P3. The touch screen is surprisingly useful and I like the control setup. :cool:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the latest Olympus µ4/3 cameras use the same sensor: OM-D E-5, E-PL5, E-PM2.
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I use a pair of Pen3's because they do what I need a camera to do. There is much talk about IQ and I have been accused of using an ancient sensor.
    I make prints for sale, no issues.

The Pens have a feel to them that just makes them the right camera.
    Good luck in your quest.
  10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    You've had some replies, but it boils down to ;
    Olympus does not currently make such a camera.

You could wait ... or just say to hell with the flash and get an e-pL5 : in my opinion the most advanced Pen yet.
  11. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    He could also wait for the EP5. But the rumors says it will cost $1000. For $1000 I want a built in EVF and the pop up flash.

If you have the VF2 I would buy an E-P3 or an E-PL5. I like the extra controls on the E-P3 better. Also I bought my E-P3 as a refurbish unit from Cameta about a 8 months ago and it has served me well with no issues.
  12. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Make do without pop-up flash (E-PM2 or E-PL5) or wait for the E-P5. That's your only options if you want a better sensor. I would not buy a camera with the old sensor in this day and age. There is a huge difference in high-ISO performance and dynamic range.
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The flash problem isn't really all that bad, although it is a bit of nuisance to carry the clip on. How much do you use the flash? The IQ of the E-PM2 and E-PL5 is better,e specially at high iso. OTOH, the suggestion to buy your wife an E-PM1 is a good one if you really like your E-PL2. It's a nice little camera and they can be had for a song these days. BTW, I really like your forum name:smile:
  14. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Thank you everyone for the thoughts. I have been leaning towards the e-pl5 for the sensor. Reason I want the pop up flash is, this camera is for hiking trips, 2-5 days and weight is something I look at along with just more things to carry. I really enjoy the feel and look of the pens. I cannot tell you how many times someone has told me "what a kool looking camera". I feel like a rock star!!!

@drd1135, my forum name came from my film days. When shooting 220 roll film, as I shot-up a roll, I would put the film back into the Kodak box and when all 5 rolls were exposed, I would write that on the box so I would know. Hence, EXPOSED is what I go by.

exposed..... or randy.....
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have an E-PL5 and have been very pleased with it, especially the IQ. The clip on flash is really small and the problem is more losing it than carrying it. The articulating screen allows you to shoot from waist level, which is actually a pretty stable shooting postion.
  16. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    I'd opt for an epm1 for your wife which you must be able to pick up for a good price.

Otherwise I use the ep3 and if you went for this I think you'd really appreciate the better live view touch screen.
  17. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    The tiny flash that comes with the newer flashless Pens weighs ALMOST NOTHING.
  18. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    If you're happy with your E-PL2, and your wife likes your E-PL2, why not just get another one?

They come in different colors (so you don't fight over who's got what camera) and are readily available for about $300 brand-new with warranty.

Makes sense to me.

Down the road, if a new sensor camera comes along with all the features you want in a perfect, glorious, shiny package, then look into it. Right now, good enough, seems to be good enough.

19. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I noticed that there is a good deal on a red epl2 in the member ads section.
  20. John Barleycorn

John Barleycorn New to Mu-43

Mar 25, 2013