Looking for a new general purpose / editing computer... need suggestions

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
I am looking for a new editing machine, and have not bought a new computer in six years. I dont follow computers, they are not my thing, so my knowledge is very basic. I am looking for something that is smaller and lightweight, but reasonably powerful with good performance. I am not opposed to chromebook type machines simply for their small form factor. I dont shoot professionally, and i dont do tons of intense editing. I just need something that will make quick work of basic edits. My primary editing program is affinity photo. My budget is a bit constrained at $500 top end, i could swing a little more if it is worth it . what suggestions do you gurus have for me ?

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Joel
As you mentioned a Chromebook, I assume you're looking for a portable device and not a desktop?

Although I haven't used it myself, you might actually consider an iPad. One of the nice things about Affinity is that all of their programs use the .aphoto file type, which means they can be opened cross platform and cross app (Photo -->Designer, etc)

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
If that is your budget and you want this for portable editing I second an iPad with a Pencil.

To do more you'd need to give more details about what you have and why you think it lacks.

Also helpful would be a more clear statement about what your current display device is and if you want something portable or fixed?

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'd go with a refurbed 12.9" iPad Pro gen 1. Just need to make sure it meets the requirements of Affinity. I've had great luck with refurbed iPads. Five or six of them kicking around my extended family that just won't die. Check Amazon. Definitely <$500.

You can certainly get <$500 laptops wIth more than adequate specs, but I'm always disappointed in them.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
As an iPad user, I wouldn't recommend it as a primary editing machine, even if you're only doing "light edits". While improved, there still isn't a convenient means of getting files in and out of it (cloud services work, including Apple's iCloud which requires a subscription for more than the basic 20GB; Dropbox, Box, Adobe Cloud, etc all require subscriptions).

A *new* iPad Pro will cost well in excess of $500. A used one for that price point is already going to be 2 or 3 generations old and Apple are notorious for being bad when it comes to upgrading older hardware. I'm sitting on a 2012 15" Macbook Pro and a Mac Pro desktop computer in various stages of obsolescence because the newer operating systems won't install or run properly on them. Time to shell out another 5 grand for computers!

No, in your price point, I'd recommend a $500 or so Acer or Asus laptop running Windows 10. Stay away from Chromebook because you can't run real software on them. I'd pay attention to the screens in the laptops you consider, ideally try to get a look at them in bright and dim light to see how they look in those conditions. The screens have gotten better from the old TFT days, but you want decent color and brightness, not to mention black levels on a PC you'll be editing photos with.

Best of luck!

PS, (edit) oh yeah, Black Friday's comin' up. Just sayin'.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
As you mentioned a Chromebook, I assume you're looking for a portable device and not a desktop?

Although I haven't used it myself, you might actually consider an iPad. One of the nice things about Affinity is that all of their programs use the .aphoto file type, which means they can be opened cross platform and cross app (Photo -->Designer, etc)
indeed i am looking for a laptop.

Taurahe

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
If that is your budget and you want this for portable editing I second an iPad with a Pencil.

To do more you'd need to give more details about what you have and why you think it lacks.

Also helpful would be a more clear statement about what your current display device is and if you want something portable or fixed?
My only working computer currently is my desk top, which is a lower end lenovo. it is for surfing the net and basic computing. All pgoto editing apps run slow on it . . It currently has a 10yr old LG flatron monitor on it , which was quite nice ten years ago. I am looking for something portable , preferably a laptop

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Are you willing to get a refurbished laptop on BF? HP often will have refurbished laptops with Dreamcolor displays. If you keep an eye on the outlet toucan sometimes snag them for near your price.

And even if not DreamColor certified they still tend to be more accurate from the factory than not.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Warning, you need enough CPU power and maybe even a SSD, or you could go nuts waiting.
A couple years ago, I did some minor editing of my nephew's wedding, using Photoshop Elements on my Laptop.
The processing on my laptop was so slow, compared to what I can do on the desktop, that I only edited about a dozen pics to give them immediately. It just took too long to edit on the laptop. I did the rest when I got home, on my desktop.
New laptops have more horsepower, but they are also more expensive. The factory refurbs are a good option.

Baenwort

Mu-43 Regular
Your going to want to keep an eye on sites like https://acerrecertified.com/acer-aspire-3-15-6-amd-ryzen-7-2700u-2-20-ghz-8-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd-windows-10-home-a315-41-r9j1-scratch-dent/#product-description which is a manufacturer refurb that has a decent processor, a dedicated graphics card, a big enough IPS screen, and enough storage space to handle a trip.

You would likely want to spend an extra 50$ for either another stick of RAM or 100$ for a larger or second storage drive if you feel able to turn a few screws and open up the case.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom