Looking for a new camera

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SCC, Dec 25, 2016.

1. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    **"********update******"****
    I also have am epm1 as well. I do use a Canon 60D at work, but it's my work camera and it doesn't belong to me.

I have an Olympus e420 and I need a new camera. Any recommendations? I like to take pictures of my family. I have a relative who is getting married and needs pictures.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Phew - where to start?.....

Do you have any 4/3 lenses that you want to keep? If so, then an E-M1 (mark 1 or 2 according to budget) would be a good idea. If not, then the world is your oyster!

Do you need a eye level viewfinder? If so, then one of the OMDs or the Pen F would be best; or any of the Panasonic cameras. If not, then the EPL8 is a good choice.

You don't need to stick to u43 of course - it's worth taking a look at the Fuji X and Sony A series. It's hard to buy a bad camera nowadays.

If you're taking lots of pictures of people then good face detect is important - it's hard to beat Olympus cameras in that respect.

If I had to make a single decision based on your post, then I'd say the E-M1 if you have 4/3 glass that your want to keep, or the Pen F otherwise. I love the Pen F - great IQ in a stylish, compact and high-spec body.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    You need a good camera with a built in zoom,lens and a built in flash. There are so many choices. Many older ones are on sale for a very good price,
    I would stay away from large or mid frame frame Canon or Nikon with interchangeable lenses. Small frame point and shoot cameras are no better than cell phones.
    I favor Panasonic,Olympus and Canon models,but there are tremendous cameras from other manufacturers. This is a very broad answer to a very broad question which may be answered in any number of ways by any number of people. Good luck

4. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt

If the op has 43 glass she can't go wrong with em1. Can get them used or even a occasional sale new for 500-600 dollars. Another 150 for a adapter. Huge bargain in the camera world.

5. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yes, totally agree with that. Worth looking at the Sony RX 10, Panasonic FZ1000 or similar "do it all" high end bridge cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Those are cameras I reccumend to a lot of people who are casual and just want to document their life and travels. Great cameras but if a wedding is an priority I would go em1. If you already have good 43 glass that is. If the lenses are kit then the bridge cam would be a good way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    Thank you all. I only have one 4/3 lens, the 14-42. I have manual lens from my k1000 but I don't use them. It's so confusing

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If you're not seriously into photography, then one of the bridge cameras mentioned above (Sony RX10 or Panasonic FZ1000) will be an excellent choice. Great image quality and as much simplicity or complexity as you choose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    The 4/3 lens you have is nothing special and not worth worrying about if you are to get a new camera. So let's just figure that the old lens will stay with your old camera, which you will eventually sell or give to a family member. Thus, you are starting from scratch on getting a new camera.

Since you are starting from scratch, here's a set of questions you should think about before anybody here can help you (and yes, people here live to talk about "what camera should I buy").

1) Why do you want to upgrade? What were the things about your old camera that you don't like and how do you think a new camera might resolve them?
    2) Do you feel brand loyalty to Olympus?
    3) Do you plan to eventually own more lenses for your camera or do you think you'll just use the lens that comes with the camera?
    4) How large a camera do you want? Something comparable in size to your old camera, something slightly smaller, or something a lot smaller?
    5) Do you want a camera with a viewfinder? Or are you happy just looking at a screen?
    6) Do you want lots of knobs and buttons so that you can really control everything the camera does? Or do you prefer fewer buttons and trust the camera to make good choices for you?
    7) Do you plan to record much video? (How important is it that your camera have top-notch video capabilities?)
    8) Do you have an estimated budget?

Those are just a few questions that came off the top of my head for you to get started. Based on the answers to them, there are more questions to help you refine things.

10. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Top Veteran

P4050024_resize.
    Above taken with OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R

My two cents:

The E420 was probably the smallest DSLR Olympus produced. So you might be interested in the E-M10 (either Mark I or Mark II) which is a VERY DSLR like camera yet remains quite small. The DSLR kit lens you have is fairly good, but not so good that it outweighs just getting the basic m43s kit lens. (the OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R) which is also very good and gives you better operational speed and a MUCH smaller size. You can now buy an adapter for that manual K1000 lens which you couldn't do before for the DSLR. Using all manual adapted lenses is a lot of fun, and the adapters are CHEAP!

I don't think you will gain anything by trying to use your existing lens on a new camera. If it were special in some way, it would be different, but the newer lenses will work better for you, I think

You might want to shop around to see if you can find the 2 lens kit, which gives you the OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R and the OLYMPUS M.40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R. Both are VERY good for kit lenses. That gives you a lot of 'reach' and will allow you to decide just how serious you want to be about photography.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    Thank you all. I have a big decision to make....

12. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    Which ones do you recommend? Should I stay with Olympus or if I change, who should I change to? I heard full frame is the way to go for weddings...

13. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oh dear - you'll hear all sorts of opinions on full-frame vs APS-C vs u43. It's a jungle of opinions that unless you understand the issues will likely only lead to more confusion.

As to weddings... if you're just taking supplementary pics then use whatever feels the most comfortable (even if it's an iPhone). If you're the main shooter - then I suggest you get on an intensive wedding photography course. The gear is the least of your worries!!! Or maybe even save the money you'd spend on new gear and hire a pro instead. I'm being serious.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 6
  14. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    I'll be the main photographer.

I'll be

15. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    You need to help us by answering these questions KingDuct asked:

16. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Honestly, if all you had before was your E420 /w the kit lens I would agree with @pdk42@pdk42 and tell you to go with hiring a professional photographer instead. A wedding is critically important affair and its not something that you tackle on the fly. It takes a lot of experience to do one well that the attendants will be really happy with. Even with the right gear, w/o the experience and know-how your pictures would not be any better than a guest with a cellphone, and I don't think you want that sort of pressure on you from your friends on such an important occasion.

Not only that, the gear to do a wedding justice is beyond what u'd need for normal day to day shooting , so it wouldn't make any sense to spend all that money on gear u're not going to make full use of after the wedding is over. So based on the answers to @kingduct@kingduct questions , plan for the 95% use case and not the 5%.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you like the size, weight and the photos you have been getting from your E-420, I’d stay with Olympus. All of the cameras are very capable of most any kind of photography you want to do. If not liking your E-420 I’d then look at other brands.

The OM-D E-M1 is slightly larger than the camera you have now and out of the OM-D series, would probably be the best feel for you. You can get the camera with an Olympus 12-40mm lens for USD $1299.00 (a great buy) or the body alone for $999. This is a great lens and combined with the E-M1 will be slightly larger than your current camera/lens.

The OM-D E-M5 Mark II is slightly smaller with nearly all of the same capabilities as the E-M1. Camera Body is about $899 right now.

The OM-D E-M10 Mark II is yet slightly smaller yet, and again nearly all of the same capabilities. The camera body is about $649 or you can get a kit with a 14-42mm II R Lens for $699, or with a 14-42mm II R Lens and 40-150mm Lens for $799.

Compared to lens you have now, any of the lenses Panasonic or Olympus sell will be at least as good and in many cases better. For wedding photography you might also want to consider a FL-600R flash.

You may also want to get a grip for the smaller two cameras to give you a comparable feel to you current camera.

Here is a CameraSize comparison of sizes. Compact Camera Meter

18. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Please do yourself and the happy couple a favour and get a pro photographer. If you find manual lenses confusing, and the last time you bought your camera was during the Bush administration, you will likely find yourself significantly out of your depth shooting a wedding.

When I shot weddings, my kit consisted of three bodies with flashes for each, a long zoom, a wide zoom, and a fast medium telephoto prime. Two bodies had lenses, the third lens was in my pocket, the third body in the bag as a spare. Remote flashes were also set up at some parts of the venues...additionally, I had a dozen cards and a dozen batteries (the cameras all had grips on them, in part so that I wouldn't have to worry about changing batteries). All of the equipment was at least of the "prosumer" persuasion (ie: not cheap). This is what I would consider a basic setup for wedding photography. Weddings are also rather stressful business...despite it being a happy event, tensions are high, everyone is stressed, things go wrong, etc. I shot news for years, and then did a few weddings, and found weddings to be more stressful to shoot than murder scenes (no joke).

As for a camera for yourself...buy a good compact or bridge with a good lens and a big-ish sensor. Look at Canons (G-series), or the Sony RX100 series...or the Panasonic FZ or LX series...get something with a fast lens, and a decent sensor, and you'll be happy for years. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    It's my cousin and she can't afford a photographer. She knows the camera issues if she could afford someone she wouldn't have asked me right?

20. SCC

SCC Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2016
    I bought the camera in Feb of 2016. Please don't judge me, I'm just asking for hrlp