Looking for a new ballhead

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Djarum, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a Sirui K 20X and I am surprised to see it called "a small lightweight ballhead". It's kinda porky compared to the one on my small Dolica tripod, but that is all I really have to compare it with. The Sirui is very smooth and works very well. I haven't used it a lot, but it's always worked well when I have needed it.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I guess I'm trying to stay under 12-14oz for weight. I know there are smaller ones like the small one I currently have(8oz, 30mm diameter) but it doesn't work well with my olympus 40mm-150mm when zoomed all the way out. The ball gets unbalanced in this configuration.

4. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I just tried mine with the 40-150 PRO and the camera tripod mount. It has a little sag after it's tightened. Using the lens tripod mount, it feels really good.

5. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    While they are nice, its outside my budget.

7. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Singapore
    I have a sirui k20x on their t2204x reverse foldinf CF tripod. I've used it with a Nikon D3 set up and have been happy with it. Not much of a tripod user so not sure what my opinion is worth but if you have specific questions, let me know.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  9. Robb

Robb Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2014
    Sydney
    Rob
    Unless you are supporting around 6kg of lens and body then this is way overkill. Most micro 43 thirds gear does not even come close to needing this type of support. The RRS head can take up to 6kg and it weighs about a third so if you are using a typical micro 43 setup this would be more than you need provided the legs are rated for the weight as well.

10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    No really, here's mine on my Velbon Ultra Luxi Mini tripod and you'd hardly notice it's there:

lightweighttripod.

11. Robb

Robb Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2014
    Sydney
    Rob
    Been there done that with heavy support equipment in my Canon days that's why I moved to micro 43, it just becomes a pain to carry around the bush.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    This is like carrying around a mobile phone, you wouldn't know you had it with you. Sometimes I forget to even use it, wishing for a tripod and ball head, because it's so discrete.

13. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    Sounds like you're happy with your ball head's weight capacity and grip strength and are just unsatisfied with the "balance" of the ball head when your lens is zoomed out.

From what you described, I think your problem is that when the lens is zoomed out, the center of gravity is in front of the ball, so camera wants to point down all the time. This will occur with a larger capacity ball head as well. I think you just need to move your camera back in relation to the ball mount to "balance" things out with the lens extended.

Replacing the ball head with a larger capacity one or a $700 one won't solve your problem, it will still be "unbalanced" if you use the same mount position relative to the top of the ball.

If you have an Arca-Swiss mounting plate you can just get a longer plate and push your camera back on the ball mount until the center of gravity with the lens zoomed out is centered over the ball head.

For example a 70mm one is less than $10US from amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-LP70-Release-Olympus-Pentax/dp/B00I5I8E3O
    You can even get 120mm long ones if you need that much extension.

If you have another non-adjustable quick release plate, I'd suggest replacing the plate holder with an Arca-swiss compatible one rather than purchasing a whole new ball head.

Arca-Swiss Compatible Clamp for approx $10US
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Standard-Wimberley-Manfrotto-Arca-Swiss/dp/B00KDTNIB6

You can just get these cheap ones to see if it solves your problem, or go all out and buy the RRS versions. It all depends on your budget and intended use.

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Well, that is part of the problem. I have tried this, so that its balanced horizontally using a larger plate. Problem is that once I start moving it around, the balance shifts around. I was thinking an elliptic ball head might be a better option. Also, the panning on the ballhead I currently have is not good at all. Its a pretty cheap ball head.

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
  16. Thorsson

Thorsson Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2014
    Sirui k-10x is even lighter and more than stable enough for m43.
    I use it regularly with the pana 100-300 on a Feisol 3371 as well as on my AmazonBasics 52-Inch Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod (which performs exceedingly well compared to several tripods costing more than double)

17. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have the Sirui C-10 (now C-10X IIRC) as my compact ballhead. It is quite small, comparable to a Markins Q3, and it has worked well for me to date. I am currently looking for a travel tripod to mate with it as my Gitzo/Markins combo is a bit big for airplane travle and carrying aroound all day.

Good luck,

--Ken

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I know this is a heretical suggestion, but maybe a panhead would be better for you? I bought a Slik 330EZ Pro tripod just because it had this head.
    Slik SH-707E E-Z Multi-Action Pan Tripod Head with Quick Release
    Link: http://amzn.com/B0011EO38E
    I liked that I could do the pan and tilt with one locking handle (good for following action). It was similar to an old Davis and Sanford tripod that I used a long time ago. When I sold my Canon 7D setup, I sold the Slik tripod too and have since regretted it.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OK, what about this one then. Coupled with my Manfrotto CLB-55 tripod, it's my all time favourite table top setup.

lightweighttripod1.

20. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The K20X Sirui is a very nice ball head especially for its price but it is rather overkill for an M43 set up. I have the K10X and it is more than adequate and some of my combos are heavier than the EM1 with 40-150 2.8.