1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for a loong camera strap.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JensM, Jun 6, 2016.

1. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Beeing 6`8" tall, and with the bulk of a retired Football/Rugby player, I am in dire need of a strap that is somewhat longer than ususal, does not matter if it is broad as well. I am using a older Lowe pro strap on the GX7, but those looks to have passed over into oblivion and the GX8 currently rides in my armpit with the OEM strap. It is nice and tight, but an annoyance for anyting other than carry it about.

I prefer to have the cameras about hip height, crossing from right shoulder to left hip, so that I can easily swing it either onto my back, up to my face or on my chest if they are not on my hip.

Tips and pointers, are most welcomed! :)

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    You might look into Peak Designs straps...
    Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Straps

Not only do they have a nice quick connect system to allow you to easily attach/remove a straps or change a strap, several of their designs are very long. Look at the "leash" one in particular.

Checking AmazonUK I see they do carry them over there and are not a USA only product.

EDIT: just noticed you are in Norway, not the UK. But you should be able to get Peak Design products over there somewhere. Sorry about that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    I enjoy both Slide lite, and Leash from Peak Design, but no idea if they fill your needs.

Oh hi there fellow Norwegian.
    I live in Oslo as well. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Looking like just the ticket, those straps. Will take some measures of the Lowe I have, for comparisons.

Hi there, Sniksekk
    I were wondering about your nick yesterday. I am from Oslo, but now lives near Gardermoen, hence the Oslo(ish)... :) How do you find the difference in the two models you have?

5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    When I`m running around with EM-1 and the 40-150 Pro attached, I somehow get afraid for the gear.
    It`s all in my head, but I feel more comfortable with the Slidelite since it`s "wider".
    But, running around with any other lens / house combo I run around with the Slide. If any at all.

I usually use Cuff only. ;)

Edit, and If you prefer having the strap on one shoulder (not crossed over your chest) the Slidelite has a plastic-coating on one side, making it more sticky so it won`t "slide" of your shoulder and fall that easily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If its not too weird, I use the carrying strap from a modern German army panzerfaust rocket launcher, that I bought off ebay for £3. Its ridiculously well made and solid, being German, and extends to 50". It attaches to one of those fittings that screw to the tripod bush underneath the camera body and its long enough to go over one shoulder and across my chest. Don't know if it helps but sometimes less obvious answers can be useful. Here is the very thing- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERMAN-ARMY-PANZERFAUST-SHOULDER-CARRYING-STRAP-SLING-/201486088616

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    @Richard@Richard Nutgall I thought you where joking until I saw the link :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have the Peak Design Leash and it fits my 187cm and big belly.
    Fully extended (152cm) my G6 hangs at my hip across my body.

/Bosse

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I'm 6'4" / 193cm (mostly in the legs - 34-36 in inseam) and the PD Slide hangs just below my waist, fully extended.

My shoulders aren't very big.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  10. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    I have the Peak Design Slide Lite and wear it cross body...plenty of length for me too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If Black Rapid straps are available in Norway you may want to check them out. They have several that are 160cm - 167cm, the last being a regular "Sport" that come in right and left handed. At 6' 2" and 245lbs/211kg I use the Metro (160cm) and it sits about hip level or a little lower.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Ordered the Sling Lite and the Leash, plus an extra set of the mounting points, to go on two of my binoculars which have obscenely short OEM straps. :)

The Black rapids looks nice, but am not to keen on the one point mount, though. I have carried heavy things that way before and find it to be terribly floppy, when out and about. :O

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I use the Optech Pro system on my GX7. You can get extra long connectors for it which make the strap very long.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Those looks very nice, and they are rather nicely priced as well.
    Bookmarked for later. :)

15. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I also use the Peak Design Leash and carry the cameras slung across my shoulders. One gets parked to my left in the Peak Design Capture thingy mounted on the camera bag strap. This gets the camera back away from my body and orients it lens-down. The other (usually the one mounted to a long and heavy lens) hangs at my right at hip height. I have found that it is crucial to keeping the eye cup on that body to suspend the camera from only one of the camera lugs (the one to the left of the lens viewed from back) and the Capture mini plate attached to the mounting screw socket on the bottom. This allows the camera to hang with the lens straight down, even with a lighter lens mounted. I lost more than one eyecup before I figured that one out. In my case, it also improves battery life since the eye sensor is more constantly illuminated - except when I am actively shielding the EVF from the sun by resting my hand on the eyecup. Normally, though, the straps are just slippery enough that I can arrange one or both cameras easily to use my body to block them from the sun.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. gr8five

gr8five Guest

17. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Gordy on Whidbey Island can make one for you whatever length you want. US$27.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  18. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    Success!

Got my slings yesterday, had some troubles getting the anchor through the holes in the camera mounts and was none to eager to hammer out the inner part of the mounts, as per the mounting sling troubles tread and had no time to go shopping for rings that fit, today.

A blinding flash of the obvious and a dive into the ole tackle box, I liberated a couple of rings from a trout lure and have now a Slide lite mounted on the GX8. The rings are tiny, made of spring steel and looks like they belong there.

Will post a photo when I get my head above water. :)

19. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Peak design Slide is a nice one. Two versions. Nice that they're part of a whole system