1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for 500mm lens. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Ctein, May 13, 2012.

1. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear Folks,

So I thought I'd pick up something in the 500mm range for photographing the solar eclipse next weekend (my solar filter arrived yesterday).

As you guys know, I'm rather fond of Rokinon's 85mm f/1.4 lens, so I was wondering if any of you have any experience with their 500 f/8 reflex? Cameta Cameras has it awfully cheap, w/adapter.

If the consensus is thumbs down, anyone able to recommend a modestly-priced 500mm? I don't expect to be doing much with it other than this eclipse.

(Don't even mention that Kowa superduper telephoto-- sooo out of my league).

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I use the OM Zuiko 500/8, pretty good for a mirror lens. Has a 72mm filter thread. You should be able to find one on e-bay for a reasonable price.

3. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear SB,

Uhh, I'm seeing prices in the $700+ range. Waaaay more than I'm interested in spending for a lens I will very rarely use.

pax / Ctein

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    WOW ..... that's about twice the price of one brand new in the 70's.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I strongly suspect the result of any 500mm lens that isn't a monster piece of glass (eg Bigma) will be a disappointment. Are you really not willing to crop from 300?

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Takumar 500mm f/5.4 preferably the SMC version. Still not cheap

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6591540307_ba939f08cf_b.jpg

Maybe your best bet might be a good telescope.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not a Reflex lens user, but how about the new Kenko-Tokina 400mm f/8 which came along with their new 300mm/6.3 reflex lens? Those are native lenses which don't require an adapter, and I think they're rather inexpensive... although, the Rokinon you're looking at is probably just as good, and is of course longer at 500mm. Just throwing more options out there, not suggestions. I haven't used any of the above. :)

8. BobA

BobA New to Mu-43

May 13, 2012
    I've used the Tamron 500/8 reflex on my E-PL1 for shots of the moon. Results were surprisingly good. You can usually pick one up for around $200 used. KEH sometimes have them.

9. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear Promit & Ned,

I've already got a nice 200mm; 300 isn't much of a step up. I'd consider that Tokina (although it's a bit pricey) except it's not yet available.

So far, the Rokinon seems to be the only available and affordable option.

pax / Ctein

10. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear usayit,

We'll already be hauling along an H-alpha scope for photography-- one's enough. Scopes are hard to move around to make photos from different vantage points. Also, a solar filter big enough for our Dobsonian costs as much as the Rokinon.

pax / Ctein

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Well, what about simply renting something like a Canon L 400mm and adapting it for the evening? Maybe even stick a telecon on it.

12. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear Promit,

If we were local to the eclipse, that's exactly what I'd do. Unfortunately, it's a day's drive for us, which really means, logistically, a 3-day rental. That'd run me over $300. Might as well buy something.

If the Rokinon turns out to be a non-keeper, I can at least sell it for much of what I paid for it. Kind of an inefficient-but-cheap rental.

pax / Ctein

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Sigma has a 600mm f8 that is decent which shouldn't be too expensive...finding one in a week might be difficult though.

edit: I take that back as there are several on ebay in varying mounts under $200 buy it now, check it out!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ctein

Ctein Mu-43 Regular

Dear pxpaulx,

OK, that looks like a really good idea! I won't mind the extra 100 mm [grin].

Thanks!

pax / Ctein

15. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    ctein, pm me if you are interested in mirror lenses.

Here is a sample from one of mine:

6139620084_7dc431277d.

16. Laurentiu Cristofor

Mar 9, 2012
    The 400 seems to just be an SLR lens bundled with an MFT adapter.

The 300 sounded like a native lens, but it doesn't seem to be available yet - I am interested in this one.

17. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Find a canon 300mm FD a slap the amazing Canon 1.4xa TeleCon on it... should be around 200-300 dollars combined, and more useful in the long run.

18. acercanto

acercanto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    SW VA, USA
    This will probably come as no surprise, but just so you know, the Pro-Optic 500mm f8 mirror lens has horrible CA. Moon shots from my 45-200 are better/clearer. It's okay in broad daylight, though the razor-thin focal plane takes some work to get used to.

Acer

19. Laurentiu Cristofor

Mar 9, 2012
    The Samyang 500/8 is poor, but all samples I have seen from the 500/6.3 looked very good, so that seems a safe option. (Pro-Optic is one of the brands under which Samyang lenses are being sold).