Looking at X-H1, but worried about the weight

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Hi All,

The title says it all really. For a while now I have been looking at the Fuji X-H1. It has many features I like such as DSLR style grip (nice for my adapted lenses) and IBIS to name two important ones. The price around here is entirely reasonable compared to other similar cameras, 1149 euros for the body only. Add 56 euros for a spare battery. I would also need to buy one or two lens adapters for Fuji X mount, which also adds to the cost. All of which is still cheaper than the E-M1.2 is around here at 1550 euros. That 1550 includes the battery grip and a lens, neither of which I have any use for.

What is really holding me back on the X-H1 is the weight. It is about 100 grams heavier than my current E-M5.2 with HLD-8G grip and battery or the E-M1.2 which comes in around the same number, 580 grams. The X-H1 with battery is around 674 grams according to what I have read. My muscles tend to tire somewhat quickly (it's a health condition, and varies from one day to the next) so the weight has me concerned.

On the other hand the good ergonomics might alleviate the weight issue somewhat. I just don't have the experience to know how those factors interact.

Any thoughts, advice or experience anyone can offer?

Regards, C.

Last edited:

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
thoughts only:

1. you have a health condition which is not going away so whatever the added costs, starting off at the minimum possible weight and associated bulk is essential - never understimate the added strain bigger dimensions cause despite the same weight due to bigger leverage each and every time when handling the lens-body combo

2. possibility of often using a fancy carbon monopod as a constant companion? with all cameras+lenses

3. looking at the web pages, if the added bulk & weight is acceptable, to my eyes the X-H1 is THE best value deal these days

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you are worried about it then don't do it. Simple as that. You are worried because you already know it will tire you more. I am familiar with fibromyalgia (which may be similar to your condition) so I know the problems.

Yes, you like the camera and you want a change, we all go through those feelings, wants and possibly needs .... but we all eventually regret it and want/need to change again.

That extra 100gms may not sound a lot but with a medical condition, you will eventually regret it.

Stick with what you have or change, it's up to you. Get a better camera by all means but never go heavier.

Just my own personal thoughts.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Hi All,

The title says it all really. For a while now I have been looking at the Fuji X-H1. It has many features I like such as DSLR style grip (nice for my adapted lenses) and IBIS to name two important ones. The price around here is entirely reasonable compared to other similar cameras, 1149 euros for the body only. Add 56 euros for a spare battery. I would also need to buy one or two lens adapters for Fuji X mount, which also adds to the cost. All of which is still cheaper than the E-M1.2 is around here at 1550 euros. That 1550 includes the battery grip and a lens, neither of which I have any use for.

What is really holding me back on the X-H1 is the weight. It is about 100 grams heavier than my current E-M5.2 with HLD-8G grip and battery or the E-M1.2 which comes in around the same number, 580 grams. The X-H1 with battery is around 674 grams according to what I have read. My muscles tend to tire somewhat quickly (it's a health condition, and varies from one day to the next) so the weight has me concerned.

On the other hand the good ergonomics might alleviate the weight issue somewhat. I just don't have the experience to know how those factors interact.

Regards, C.
Christine, I reckon you are right the better ergonomics of the X-H1 will alleviate the extra weight. Of course it all rather depends upon the severity of your health problem! But I think that the handling is superior to any other Fujifilm camera that I have handled!
I now use a Lumix G9 which is quite similar to the X-H1, except the hand grip is a bit larger!

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry, Mike, when you have medical problems no amount of ergonomics can alleviate extra weight.

Yes, it may feel better in your hand, but it certainly won't feel better on your shoulder or your neck or in your hands when your arms start to ache. It is still heavier and that is the crux of the matter.

The Fuji X-H1 is 673gms, body only, the Olympus EM1 ii is 574gms, body only and the lenses are lighter too. The EM1ii would be a much better choice in my opinion, the handling and ergonomics are great too as well as pretty much everything else.

Mike G

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike Gorman
Sorry, Mike, when you have medical problems no amount of ergonomics can alleviate extra weight.

Yes, it may feel better in your hand, but it certainly won't feel better on your shoulder or your neck or in your hands when your arms start to ache. It is still heavier and that is the crux of the matter.

The Fuji X-H1 is 673gms, body only, the Olympus EM1 ii is 574gms, body only and the lenses are lighter too. The EM1ii would be a much better choice in my opinion, the handling and ergonomics are great too as well as pretty much everything else.
It rather depends what the health problem is doesn’t it. If weight is a big problem then a Lumix G90/95 might be a better choice. But I agree a mu- 43 might indeed be a super choice but which brand is more than likely a matter of personal preference. If Christine already has a shed load of Fuji gear you point may be a bit moot!
As an old codger myself, I’m finding weight is a problem, however my choice of G9 would seem to belie that. Again however ergonomics and the Panasonic system of control is a bit better than the OM1 I. But of course it’s a personal choice! And of course mu-43 cameras can be adapted to old FF lenses as well.
Regards Mike

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
All good points, thank you.

I found a way to simulate the weight of the X-H1 by taking my Novoflex F to M43 adapter and stacking that on top of my E-M5.2. The combination is close to what an X-H1 weighs.

Shooting for a few minutes it makes little difference, but after a short while it starts to add up. And I noticed that my right wrist started complaining a bit.

So I think the X-H1 will have to wait for someone else.

Regards, C.

Keeth101

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fair comment, Mike.

But it was the OP who said she was worried about the extra weight because of medical problems and if weight is a worry then it doesn't really matter about anything else. Yes, good ergonomics are very important but if you can get the ergonomics in a lighter camera then ....

I must say that the EM1 i which it looks like you referred to is nothing like the EM1ii which is a whole new world of photography, especially with the new 3.2 update. Again, system of control, if you mean menus etc, does not make a camera lighter, just different to use.

Yes, Panny do make good cameras with good ergonomics but they are, in general bigger and heavier than the Olympus models. The G9 is 658 gms as against the Fuji's 673 and the Em1ii 574. I looked seriously at Panny's offerings when I bought my EM1ii and they were all bigger and heavier. To me it was a no brainer.

All we can do is offer our own personal advice and experiences to the OP and allow her to make her choice.

Oooohhh, I see that she has just posted and found the Fuji too heavy. Hope you are happy with whatever you choose either now or in the future.

Lupin 3rd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Just got back from my local camera store where I spent some time handling an X-H1 with battery grip and the 50-140/2.8 zoom lens.

The camera is much heavier and bigger than my E-M5ii with grip, battery and 40-150.The difference is most noticeable when holding the setup single handed.

The ergos are also different, the E-M5 fits smaller hands/shorter fingers much better than the X-H1. I feel that between weight and ergos, the X-H1 really requires 2-handed operation.

That said, I could see an X-H1 replacing my X-T2 in the future: I’ve really gotten spoiled by IBIS, and heavier lenses really call for 2-handed operation anyway so there isn’t much of a penalty there.

Hope my inane rambling makes sense. :)

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
I guess IBIS will trickle down to the rest of the Fuji lineup, hopefully - that would be the game changer for me despite added weight-bulk over what Oly & Panny now offer, unless price goes up.

Looking Fuji’s releases time pattern, the X-T4 should be out in about 10-12 months and lack of IBIS would be a surprise for me - of course it needs a few more months for the price to go lower as well.

Drdave944

Mu-43 All-Pro
You already have yourself weighted down with all those unnecessary grips and batteries. Put battery in pocket. Use ultra- lite monopod to steady the camera.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
You already have yourself weighted down with all those unnecessary grips and batteries. Put battery in pocket. Use ultra- lite monopod to steady the camera.

On my E-M5.2 I use this grip:

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/hld-8g-grip-grip-only.html

For me it is essential and improves ergonomics significantly. I use adapted lenses almost exclusively and the HLD-8G is essential for that. Any larger lens without this grip and the camera digs into the palm of my hand; very uncomfortable. It weighs about 120 grams if memory serves and it doesn't have space for an extra battery. The disadvantage of the HLD-8G is that whenever I need to replace the battery I have to unscrew it to get to the battery compartment. It's inconvenient but not a catastrophe.

Regards, C.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Two reasons. I find the process of using fully manual lenses very relaxing, it is part of the enjoyment of photography for me. Second, half the time autofocus lenses don't do what I have in mind. User error I am sure.

But yes, they are both cheaper (by a mile!) and heavier.

Regards, C.

Orionwest

Mu-43 Regular
Hi All,

Regards, C.
Have you given any thought to the M5 MKIII it's lighter than your current M5 MKII.

MichailK

Mu-43 All-Pro
In that case,anybody knows if the manual focus facilities of the X-H1 offer any real special something vs the E-M1ii?
Since you have the cash and already use the grip, total price of the E-M5iii will be similar and the weight penalty vs the bigger Oly, small.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Have you given any thought to the M5 MKIII it's lighter than your current M5 MKII.

In that case,anybody knows if the manual focus facilities of the X-H1 offer any real special something vs the E-M1ii?
Since you have the cash and already use the grip, total price of the E-M5iii will be similar and the weight penalty vs the bigger Oly, small.

Yes, I have given thought to the E-M5.3, but it suffers from the same problem as my mark 2: in order to replace the battery you first have to unscrew the grip. So while it is about 50 grams (?) lighter overall, it doesn't solve one of my main problems with the 5.2.

Regards, C.

connloyalist

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Christine
Further to my answer above comparing, the E-M5.3 to my current E-M5.2

I use manual focus lenses almost exclusively, and I don't do video. Stills only. As such:

• Video features - irrelevant
  • Auto Focus improvements - irrelevant
It seems to me that these are the two major selling points for cameras these days.

So what is left?

• More megapixels - My film era adapted lenses probably can't resolve the 16MP of my E-M5.2, let alone the 20MP of the 5.3. In other words: nice to have but not important. Another big selling/advertising point for cameras but just not that much of a factor for me.

• High ISO performance - This would be an advantage for the 5.3

• Focus Peaking features - Critical for my use case, but no difference here.

• Battery life - Although the E-M5.3 might actually be a bit worse than the E-M5.2 from what I read, but I will call this one even.

• Ergonomics: Weight - Another advantage of the 5.3

• Ergonomics: grip - The E-M5.3 also requires a grip (in this case the ECG-5) to make it usable and then they are the same. So no difference here.

• Ease of use - The E-M5.3 also requires the grip to be removed to replace the battery. No improvement here.

• IBIS - The E-M5.3 is said to have better IBIS, and while IBIS is very important for me, I have not experienced any problems with my E-M5.2. So, nice to have but not a deciding factor.
So is the better high ISO performance and lower weight enough for me to buy the E-M5.3? No, not at its current price point.

Let's throw the E-M1.2 in here for a moment. From the above list the E-M1.2 adds as advantages much better battery life, and no need to remove the grip to change the battery. And probably better ergonomics "grip" than the E-M5 mark 2 or 3 when these are used with the add-on grip. And the weight of the E-M1.2 is the same as the E-M5.2 with the HLD-8G grip. So no disadvantage to the E-M1.2 there.

The problem with the E-M1.2 for me? At 1550 euros I can't justify the expense.

Regards, C.

algold

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alex
If you are generally happy with em5ii and mostly use it with a grip, the logical solution imho is to go for an E-M1 II. It’s the same weight, better ergonomics, better battery life and a better camera overall. Just find a good deal, or trade-in your E-M5 II with a grip.

Latest threads

Top Bottom