Looking at My Photos for More Sustained Interest in the Frame

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
The crop of the guy drinking a beer makes a dull photo much better as it draws attention and more importantly it eliminates distractions
I'm going to be odd-man out. Here's what I see:

Original version; there's a guy drinking beer. He's at an outdoor eatery that has fish tacos, an oyster bar, and a smokehouse. There's a family sitting behind him and the man is eating what I would assume is a fish taco. This man appears to be either having a conversation with beer guy, or perhaps calling him out based on his hand gesture. There are others nearby at another table and a couple eating inside. I want to see more of what's there, and I think this area is a hub of activity.

Cropped version; A guy drinking beer. Yes, a good part of what I mentioned above still exists, but I see a guy drinking beer because he dominates the frame. My eye doesn't wander like it did in the other photo.

If you're looking for more sustained interest, the original is the better of the two.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I'm going to be odd-man out. Here's what I see:

Original version; there's a guy drinking beer. He's at an outdoor eatery that has fish tacos, an oyster bar, and a smokehouse. There's a family sitting behind him and the man is eating what I would assume is a fish taco. This man appears to be either having a conversation with beer guy, or perhaps calling him out based on his hand gesture. There are others nearby at another table and a couple eating inside. I want to see more of what's there, and I think this area is a hub of activity.

Cropped version; A guy drinking beer. Yes, a good part of what I mentioned above still exists, but I see a guy drinking beer because he dominates the frame. My eye doesn't wander like it did in the other photo.

If you're looking for more sustained interest, the original is the better of the two.
Thanks Tim, that is the thinking I was going for in that photo as well. I remember reading something Joel Meyerowitz had said, something along the lines that it is preferable to him to take a photo where there might be numerous parts of everyday life playing out that might be individual focal points for the viewer. One person might get something completely different than another person might. I should try to find that quote.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom