Looking at adding M42 lenses to my collection

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by johncox111, Mar 30, 2011.

1. johncox111

johncox111 Mu-43 Rookie

I just found a 50 1.8 takumar M42 (single coated) and 2x teleconverter in amongst some negatives from a few years ago. I'm wondering if I should spend the $40 and buy an adapter. The reason this is a tough decision is that I already have two 50mm's already, a Jupiter 8 and industar 61.
    So how good is the tak 50 f 1.8?
    I use my 50's to stitch quite often, and any improvement is great. Also I have no telephoto lenses longer than 50, are there any good M42 60, 85/90 (fast), or 180's?
    Any insight is appreciated.

2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    The SMC Taks have a good reputation, single coated i'm not so sure about. Getting an adapter is probably worth it though, I paid £12 for my M42 adapter and it works great.

I have two M42 lenses, Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8 and CZJ Sonnar 135/3.5

The Tessar is a bit mediocre wide open, and only gets sharp(ish) around F5.6, it otherwise has a nice character, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one.

The Sonnar is however a different story, it's quite amazing, and if you're looking for an M42 telephoto I would absolutely recommend it. It's nice and sharp wide open, and gets really sharp by F5.6. The colours are wonderful too, with a very pure look.
    Image thread
  3. geoffox23

geoffox23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2010
    Brisbane. Australia
    "I just found a 50 1.8 takumar M42 (single coated)
    So how good is the tak 50 f 1.8?"

John, are you sure this is the correct model?
    I can't find it anywhere in my reference books.
  4. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Taks were really nice lenses unfortunately i do not own any, the difference between SMC tak and tak is that the coating is differently made , on old taks the was made using rare earth elements ( thorium) which makes the glass more transparent , afterwards this was stopped for obvious reasons as thorium is slightly radioactive and it was replaced by SMC.

From my own experience of thorium glass ( Minolta MD lenses ) i can say that it last longer , no fungus can hold , easier in maintenance opposed to the SMC coating that is in general very fragile

lenses that i would recomend:

Tamron adaptall 28 2.5 ( yes i know not specifically on M42 but great lens )
    Zenitar 50 F2 or 50 1.7 as a fun lens there was the Zenitar me2 50 F2 ( square aperture)
    pentacon 50 1.8
    Fujinon 55 1.8 great lens.
    Chinon 55 1.7
    Helios 44 F2
    Jupiter 9 85 F2

In fact by paying a couple of bucks you will never go wrong with an M42, most lenses cost like a coffee in starbucks only rare and exceptional lenses cost a lot.
  5. cucco

cucco Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    I found an old, mint condition Mamiya 55 f1.2 lens in a box in my photo room and was informed by members here that it was an M42 mount. I put that little guy on the front of my GH2 and have had nothing but exceedingly excellent results with that lens. (some of which are located in the following thread about half-way down):

I'd say, go for it and get the adapter. There are a lot of great m42 mount lenses out there. Plus, the adapters aren't that expensive. I got mine for $15 on EBay.