Look who's coming to dinner (Natty Dreadlocks) or the EOS M

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zapatista, Nov 5, 2012.

1. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    When I'm feeling really constipated, with full-on GAS, why not take the plebian, ultra popular pill for temporary relief. My not so shiny-new EOS M with 22mm f2 lens and EOS adapter arrived via digitalrev.com from Hong Kong tonite. Not too many opportunities to test it out so far but I'll drop a couple shots (including a crop/photo at iso 6400 of a lens y'all might recognize). I have to admit, I'm quite impressed 1st impressions...esp. with manual focus/magnification on screen 1x/5x/10x. Let me know if y'all have any questions/requests for shots (20mm f1.7 vs the 22mm f2 for instance) while the battery is charging up.

Late to the ball (post-sunset)
    EOS_M_shots-5.
    Crop of same
    [​IMG]
    Obligatory low-light/high ISO shot-ISO 6400, 1/15 sec. f/2 (max aperture) 22mm.
    EOS_M_shot_ISO_6400.
    Center Crop of m43 Fisheye
    EOS_M_shot_22mm_f2_1-15_sec_ISO_6400.

2. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Possibly the last forum I'd expect to see another Black Uhuru fan...

As far as I can tell, the main appeal of the EOS M would seem to be for those who want small form factor video and have a substantial Canon lens collection. Would be interested in your comments on autofocus speed, as this seemed to be the EOS M's weak link in the DigitalRevTV review.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    That be me. So how about some general impression stuff ... how does this stack up against ยต4/3?

G

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I was one of those who sniffed at the half-hearted effort Canon put into the EOS M, but was really surprised to see that the camera was selling like hotcakes at the local camera store! The salesperson told me it's a combination of the attractive pricing, APS-C sized sensor, and Canon brand name, which is drawing in the crowd. I guess they learned from the Nikon 1 experiment, that its loyal customers prefer larger sensor, and Nikon really screwed up in pricing of the 1 also. According the the salesperson, most customers also bought the EF Adaptor...

5. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Off the top of my head (after a couple of hours).
    -Build quality on the body is very nice.
    -focus is kinda weak with the 22mm...I'd say E-PM1 meets 20mm speed...slow.
    -The low light assist seems to be slightly less than worthless.
    -The body reminds me of the Nex 5-N for IQ with the form factor and feel of an GF3 in the hands (I have fairly small hands).
    -I really like the body with the pancake, very similar balance to a GF3/5/E-PM1/E-PL3 with the 17mm or 20mm.
    -Initial IQ (impressions with very slight PP) on the 22mm is excellent.
    -I must be the only person who bought the camera who doesn't have any EF lenses, though the 40mm pancake is incoming.
    -The adapter build quality is seriously nice though...heavy duty (in a positive way) but larger than almost any XX slr lens to m43 adapters.
    -If you like the touch screen of the Panasonic bodies (GF2 and later) then you'll feel right at home.
    -The menu is amazingly Sony Nex-esque...kinda crappy (I'm used to it so it was relatively easy to find M mode and manual focus) but with better touchscreen.
    I'm thinking that the OM-D+20mm is gonna be in good company IQ wise (but I'll test later) compared to this body and the 22mm.

6. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Digital Rev Overpack

A couple more.
    EOS_M_shot_22mm_f2_8_1-30mm_ISO_500_Idiot_Mode_.
    Crop
    EOS_M_shot_22mm_f2_8_1-30mm_ISO_500_Idiot_Mode_UR_Corner_Crop.

7. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I am a fan of Black Uhuru :D

8. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Honestly, I was just planning on flipping the whole rig after trying it out (which is probably what I will do). For now I'm going to try it awhile longer as I really like the 22mm, though I also really like the OM-D with the 20mm....I've never seen the banding issue folks talk about. Generally I'm a slow shooter (focus, recompose, what am I shooting, shutter press :p) so the slower auto focus...which is not that bad as say an X100, is not a buge thing to me. Then again I've got an OM-D and several m43 lenses...Any specific questions let me know.

9. lubov

lubov Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 4, 2011
    Well i'm a huge long time reggae fan, and heres the original

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-giTmZgIBQ&feature=fvsr]Guess Who Is Coming To Dinner - Michael Rose - Reggae - 10" 45 - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  10. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike

11. tardegardo

tardegardo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2012
    Rome, Italy
    Yeah, rastafari vibrations here too!

12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    95% of what I play through my speakers is 1970's roots reggae.

13. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Anyone like Yellowman?

• Like Like x 1
  14. So...how's the EOS M going then?

15. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Greeting in the name of King Hailie Selasi-i, the everliving ever loving crown prince of rasterfari. Jah-no.

Misty In Roots, Dr Alimantrado, The Twinkle Bros, Steele Pulse, Pablo Gad, Black Uhru - my neighbours must have thought the whole of Trenchtown had moved in :)

I'm interested in the EOS-m concept, but I think I'll wait until the improved version till I buy it.

16. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I took the OM-D w/20mm and the EOS M with the 22m f/2 out yesterday and did some brief shots with each. Looking at the files afterwards, the IQ is about the same...nothing clinical in the testing done here. The 22mm is noticeably slower to focus compared to the 20mm though the interface is pretty good. Anyone familiar/comfortable with Panasonic's touchscreen interface will be find the Canon interface easy. I already sold the adapter, but can state the 40mm f2.8 pancake focuses as fast w/ the adapter (very nicely built EF adapter) as does the EOS M with it's native 22mm. I'm staying with the OM-D and m43.

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Thanks for the info.