Look what I made - remote-release interface for G1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ranger 9, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    Yeah, I know, you can buy a remote cable from Panasonic for $60 or so, and eBay clones for a lot cheaper. But I wanted to make my own, so I could configure it for various kinds of releases. Plus it just looks gnarly:

My homebuilt gizmo will let me fire my G1's shutter by pressing a button; by connecting some kind of pressure or trip switch to binding posts on the back; or by plugging in a PocketWizard. I can hook it up using 3.5mm stereo patch cables, which connect to the G1 via a $10 cell-phone adapter:

Full schematic plus a meandering narrative are available on my blog.

So if you're wondering what you're going to do with your G1 once you've got a GH1 or G2 or whatever, here's one answer: turn it into your remote-control "assistant!"
    • Like Like x 2
  2. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
  3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    How does it connect to the G1???? I was looking for something for the E-P1 so I can fire it off with my wizards....
  4. Ranger 9

Ranger 9 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2009
    There's a more complete description of how it connects in my blog post. The short version: the cell-phone adapter (with 2.5mm 4-conductor plug) plugs into the G1, and then a regular 3.5mm patch cord plugs into the adapter. The other end of the patch cord plugs into a jack on my gizmo. I used a jack instead of hardwiring the cord so that I could use cords of different lengths in different situations.

I don't know what kind of remote-control connection the E-P 1 uses (in fact, I don't even know if it has a remote-control connection.) But if it does, and if you can find the type of plug that fits it, then you've got a starting point.

My guess: If it uses a three-conductor plug, then it has simple switch connections for half-press and shutter release, and you won't need the resistors and other stuff that Panasonic requires. You could test it just with bare wires sticking out of your plug and touching them together: if the shutter goes off, you know you've got the right wires. Then you just connect them to a 3.5mm mono plug that plugs into a PocketWizard, and you're done.

You might even want to check the PocketWizard website (there's a page called "What Cable Do I Need?") to see if they already offer a cable that works with Olympus stuff. Granted, their cables cost about $80, which seems a little over-the-top considering that I spent less than $30 making my super-adaptable version, but at least you'd know a solution is possible...