Look Up Up Up Up .. and Down (China)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by jsusilo, Jun 17, 2013.

1. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    OMD with 14/25/45 primes covering Zhongshan Mountain - Linggu Temple - Dr. Sun Yat Sen's Mausoleum scenic areas.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095751@N07/9182319130/" title="China-1 by GJSusilo, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="China-1"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095751@N07/9180095905/" title="China-2 by GJSusilo, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="506" alt="China-2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095751@N07/9180089093/" title="China-3 by GJSusilo, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="789" alt="China-3"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/24095751@N07/9180082711/" title="China-4 by GJSusilo, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="768" alt="China-4"></a>
  2. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Very vivid colors.

I like the blend of architectural styles.

I'm jealous! The view out from the top looks breathtaking.
  3. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Yes its pretty high in elevation .. really glad I only carry small bag with few primes. The place was packed and all pictures were taken in middle of the day under bright sunlight. I join a tour and time is limited but still I have to be patient and look for window where not too many people in the way. Overall pretty happy how they turned out..
  4. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Really interesting look.
    How did you process these?
  5. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Short Answer: Processed in Lightroom & Niks' HDR Efek Pro

Long Answer: I was aiming for a cartoonish look at risk of over-processing it but I thought its pretty cool to experiment a bit. All pictures are 5 bracketed HDR shot in RAW imported to Lightroom then exported to HDR Efek Pro to apply one of their base preset.

It seems to me that Nik's did a pretty good job in aligning them, there's not much ghosting happening despite everything is sorta moving with the wind and people etc. I can see some chromatic abberation a little bit after HDR processing but that is removed in Lightroom pretty easily.

Last step I make some adjustment in Lightroom basic panel and cropping. I only play with exposure, white, black, shadows and highlights to taste until it sorta look like a cartoon. Also in some of them I added sharpening and or removing noise in photoshop.
  6. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    They look like propaganda posters, I can almost hear "the East is red" playing.
    Great stuff!
    Works really well with the contrasty edges on the building / stairs and I like the way the people get flattened out. I don't think the effect works well with the last picture, but I love all the others.
  7. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I never heard 'The east is red' before what is that exactly? Despite its massive growth and economic boom, many parts in China is still developing. Its pretty impressive place that I never knew exist until I join local tours. One thing I learnt, Its tough taking pictures with a guided tour cuz they wanted you to come see it .. spent 5-10min max for pictures and then move on to the next spot :)

Glad you like it. BTW this is only 5% of all pictures I took during the trip. I might post some more when I have the time to process them. I agree the last one does not work .. but I spent most of my time on that believe it or not .. perhaps because the color is just over-saturated for some reason.
  8. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    My favorite is the second last one...I think the HDR works well there
  9. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2013
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I like #8 (second to last) the best. The trees in the background and the fog/mist (?) give it such an unreal feeling. Very nice set.
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Nice set of images that with the processing you have used look half way between a photo and a graphic illustration, very nice effect that really appeals to me.

Personal choice - I would like to see the verticals sorted in the buildings as the perspective issues detract from the overall impact, also the images look a tad light to me (these are just my comments and I am sure many will disagree).

But all in all a great set and the lenses used have captured the scenes well with your guidance and control.
  11. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Good feedback here Ian. When processing them, I thought the same thing about making correction on vertical distortion. Unfortunately the images are not wide enough to afford such significant cropping. I ended up doing minor alignment just making sure horizontal lines are straight [they are all handheld shot].

About images looking a tad light, I agree with you as well. Your observation is very good indeed :). One of the problem I struggled with HDR is that it has tendency to make the images look dirty. Often I had to reduce noise / grain or contrast just to give softer feel to them but at the expense of lightness to the texture and or sometime color.

Good Feedback nevertheless! Really appreciate it.
  12. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Amazing scenario and great vivid photos. #8 is breathtaking.
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    East is Red: [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJvheUkySpc][2011年新年音ä¹￾会 HQ] 01 - 东方红 - ä¸*国爱ä¹￾ä¹￾团 - YouTube[/ame]

It's a song that got really popular during the Cultural Revolution era. To a point where it replaced the actual national anthem. I don't mean to offend any native Chinese by saying that, history is history. Just trying to answer what is "East is Red".