1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Look into your magic 8 ball-GX7 price

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sethdsm, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Recently sold my Sony A77 to finance the purchase of a GX7. I know there was just a recent price drop of $300. Do you foresee another price drop in the near future? I'm looking at buying w/ the 20mm 1.7. The past couple of weeks it can be had for $715 on Ebay or around $890 on Amazon Prime. Is anyone familiar w/ how Panny has handled price drops previously who could shed some light on this? Right now I am left w/ just my rx100 and am really itching to fill the void the A77 left.

2. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I have those exact questions as I recently sold my GX1 hoping to purchase a GX7. I would expect that LX100 and GM5 will make their waves through m43 community and we may see more GX7 sales. Also, there was some indication that GX7 is being discontinued, but I'm not sure about that unless Panasonic treats the GM5 as a replacement, which I don't think is the case.
    That said, those 2 new Panasonic cameras just put another bug in my head as all of the sudden they are pretty good alternatives and deserve consideration.

3. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Ha, yeah I hear ya. That LX100 has instilled some "gadget envy" in me. It's too similar to my rx100, though, which I really like (otherwise I'd be all over it). I'd be happy to pay $800 for the gx7 20mm combo---I just don't want it to drop to $650 two days later :)

4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I wouldn't count on another price drop anytime soon, in fact I figure it'll go up again after this promotion is over. There is nothing new to replace/compete with it so why flog it if they don't have too? get one now, while the gettings good.

5. sethdsm

sethdsm Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014
    Sounds logical to me. (I didn't need a lot of prompting to pull the trigger on this one)

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    In my mind the LX100 has made the GX7 with 20/1.7 pretty redundant. But maybe I'm getting caught up in the hype?

7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    I dont think that lx1000 will have f/1.7 when zoom is set to 20... more probably 2.2 or 2.5 and for me thats still a difference ?!

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well it'll be redundant, when it can compete with the Gx7 with 75 1.8, 42.5 1.2, 25 1.4 and I can mount any of my collection of manual 50's. But I get what your saying, I think it will replace my X20 as the go anywhere small package. Now just to see some "honest, real world reviews".

9. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    There will be a lot of GX7 on the used market for sure as people sell them off for some of the new goods. I expect a price drop as the camera has been around for quite a while. The new Panny cameras won't be out for another month or two though. I thought that the Oly em10 would drive the Panny prices down more already.

10. TonyZhang

TonyZhang Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2014
    New Zealand
    That is true in many regards, the LX100 poses many advantages over that combination including size, 4k video, flash sync, stabilisation, zoom and probably autofocus. But the gx7 and 20mm still has it's merits, more resolution and probably IQ, a tilting screen and viewfinder and a faster aperture hence shallower depth of field at that given focal length, though this difference is probably negligible.

On paper, this camera is amazing, I really hope that the lens is of decent quality and the zoom rocker allows you to zoom smoothly without any flicker during video. Time to wait for the reviews!