Longtime photography enthusiast, new to m43

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by North20, Oct 18, 2012.

1. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Greetings all :smile:

As the title says, I've been photographing for some time. Began in high school as a way to show my parents why I just had to be "out there" ... Be it in the mountains, desert, along rivers, or the ocean. Three decades and change later I've put a lot slide film through various cameras, and over the last 3 years or so have had the opportunity to borrow or own a number of digital cameras to see what all the fuss was about.

The switch to digital has been a somewhat fussy one for me; odd ergonomics, pictures that just didn't look at all as I had envisioned them, dirty sensors, etc. Of course there have been positives: not having to carry and change rolls of film; the immediate gratification the lcd screen affords. However, the biggest trial has been post processing. As a former slide photographer, I relied on the film to handle the bulk of the 'processing' duties; I handled (or tried to :tongue: ) the composition, light, and exposure.

After a time of futzing around with various cameras and means of making their files look decent on my computer monitor, I came around to thinking that I wanted to keep things simple, using a camera with adequate - to me! - manual controls and some sort of built-in viewfinder. But also with more modern attributes like an articulated screen and either a body or a couple of lenses with image stabilization. I thought it would also be cool if I could easily use some of the old glass I had laying around or stumble upon. I also decided to get a bit more serious on the pp side and purchased Lightroom.

Within a week of that Lightroom purchase I came upon a Panasonic G2 with kit lens, battery & charger, and what turned out to be a fried SD card at a multifamily yard sale. For a grand total of $85. Camera looked new, so I went home and grabbed one of my SD cards and found the camera to work just fine. Paid my money, and now here I am a couple of months later.

A slowly worsening physical ailment doesn't let me get out and do the things I used to enjoy so much, but every so often I get the chance to shoot a few images, and the Lightroom process is even beginning to be fun! I hope to be able to share a few pictures now and then, and of course to peruse everyone else's work!

TL, DR - Hi there! :wink:
  2. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Hello and welcome - that's some bargain you got there on the G2! :smile:

I am also just venturing into the world of pp with Lightroom and I think I am converted (after shooting jpegs for years). But there is quite a lot to learn and some of my efforts are better than others - even managed to make one photo look worse after pp than before, but getting there slowly.
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Welcome aboard Pat. That is an awesome deal on that G2 there! After shooting for two years I still don't feel the need to upgrade my G2 body. Lens lust is a different story. lol. Buy an adapter for your old lenses and have fun.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome to the forum! :smile:
  5. North20

North20 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    East of the Cascades, PNW
    Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated.

Yeah, when I saw the G2 and the $85 tag I knew that I could be getting a very sweet deal if it worked at all. And as far as I can tell from what I've shot so far, and reading the manual, the only thing that was bad was the SD card.

I feel a bit guilty about the price ... Not so guilty that it stopped me from buying a few lens adapters and a remote release, however :redface:

So far the only disappointment has been the results with an old, but pristine, Canon FD zoom. Fantastic lens on film; the digital results have been mixed at best. Otherwise, any less than stellar results are not the result of the camera or lenses.

Thanks again!