Longer TTL Cord for Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by OceanBlue, Jul 10, 2017.

1. OceanBlue

OceanBlue New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2017
    Does any member know of a longer TTL cord then the common 3ft. that can be used on Olympus cameras for TTL control off the camera. I know this is old school, but I want to avoid all the expensive electronic equipment!

2. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    This for the old OM system right? Then yes, longer cords are available along with a bunch of different connectors for daisy chains. The OM TTL flash system was very sophisticated. If you (or anyone else for that matter) are/is looking for a specific bit I probably have several :) PM me.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I assumed the original poster was talking about the flash cord sold for modern 4/3rds systems. For example the FL-CB05.

4. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 15, 2014
  5. OceanBlue

OceanBlue New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2017
    I have an Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II camera and a Vivitar DF 383 Flash for OLY. I am looking to place the flash on a stand with umbrella and still have TTL function, so I would like as long a cord as possible.

6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If you don't mind running your flash in manual mode, you can buy a radio trigger set for less than a long cord.

7. OceanBlue

OceanBlue New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2017
    PakkyT No I can't use the flash on manual, I have to use TTL on these shoots. Made a good discovery today though! some flash authorities told me Canon TTL cords will work with Olympus, so I picked up a short one locally just to test, and it works very well!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  8. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 17, 2016
    like, The Valley
    I've found that this works fine as far as the contacts go, but sometimes the locking pins/holes don't line up, so make sure there's something securing the connections enough that things don't creep out of place and break contact...

9. OceanBlue

OceanBlue New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2017
    Yes Junkyard, I have already seen signs of that! I have had to re-seat the flash unit several times on the stand side, I guess it lost pin contact. But as long as nothing worse happens I guess I can live with it, because a 3 ft. or even 6ft. cord is just not going to do it! Without detaching at the shoe I had to move the whole stand to where I set it down, and the camera still Tarzan swung itself into mid air!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Another thing to keep in mind, if it helps, while a bit kludgy, I think you can daisy chain cords together if you need a bit more reach or if a couple of 6 ft cords are cheaper than one 10 footer. Although it does add additional "failure points" where contacts can fail to make good contact.

And to your point about Canon cords being compatible, if you search for TTL CANON cords you are more likely to find more options both in brands and lengths.

11. exakta

exakta Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    If you want to go nuts, Vello makes a 33 foot straight cord for Canon TTL. Oddly, I don't see straight cords offered for any other systems. I find the tension of coiled cords a hassle when the flash is on a light stand.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I think the 1m budget one I brought for MFT was actually a relabeled Canon model. It didn't work when I first tried it, but has subsequently. I think the first time it was held in wrong position by the locking pin, second time it was carefully pushed all the way in.
    My 3m one was actually 10% cheaper than the 1m one & has always worked properly!

FWIW I use flash for macro more than anything else, for this TTL is a godsend & the length of the cord is not really an issue.

13. OceanBlue

OceanBlue New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2017
    Yes I have seen all of those cords online, and 33' is Crazy! another thing I see, they are all deceivingly labeled, the length of the cord they state is the size fully stretched out! it's only about a foot in it's slack state. I would like to see the light stand that could remain upright with a full out stretch on those coiled cords! LOL