Longer focal range setup

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Nichia5w, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Hello all,
    I have been browsing your forums for a bit trying to absorb as much information as I can and hopefully figuring about what I could before posting.

I am looking for a long focal range solution. 400mm minimum and mostly the more the better. I am looking for fast autofocus and burst shooting as well, less importance for this camera setup is being low weight and low light shooting. I consider built in video very handy. I am currently not tied into any lens system.

Considering several different options the
    1.GH4 and 100-300.
    2. d300/7100 successor if the former ever arrives or the latter arrives with a better buffer and 70-300. Perhaps a 80-400 but I had read it was slower than the 70-300 in focus and accuracy. Maybe see what the 7dmk2 will offer.
    3. FZ1000

1. I had the read the 100-300 was not playing nicely with the GH4 at all and frame rates instead of 12fps burst or 7 caf dropped to 3 and had focus issues as well. This doesn't seem to be a good solution which is rough because this is a 600mm solution versus 400 and 450. What are the fast focusing zooms and frame rate lens known with the GH4 and are there any other lens no playing friendly? I know the camerastore's video review was very impressed with the 35-100 and the gh4. Last I looked the GH4 was sold out from the major places I order.
    2. Whenever it may arrive and whatever features it may or may not posses and how well it might perform. Most size and weight of the three.
    3. Most likely lowest IQ and focal range of the three options. Reviews seem to indicate the autofocus is some degree slower than the gh4 and unsure as to the fps/buffer differences including continuous autofocus. Strongest in inclusive focal range at once.

As for the elephant in the room part of any "which camera" selection that goes through a range of sensor sizes: IQ and why I didn't mention it above: While obviously IQ is important, if the camera's reach or speed (AF/burst/slow lens) isn't quick enough to capture the photo then the theoretical image quality the camera could have provided is just that to me, theory. Hence a range of 1inch to dx sensors.

Which telephoto zoom lens options can I look to outperform the native lens on the FZ1000? I have heard the 35-100 is the fastest focusing/sharpest/brightest of the somewhat teles and have read of no issues that impact the gh4s performance.

Lens I am considering for a possible 4/3 system in order of purchase:
    1.100-300 many issues unfortunately but only option for top teach on a panasonic body handheld. ~600
    2. 35-100 2.8 Outside of reach, top zoom in most any category for 4/3. ~1500
    How much performance in the metrics I mentioned (sharpness/IQ focus speed) difference is there between it and the 14-100 3.5-5.6 ~629 which I have read was one of the best all in one lens. Ie factors outside of 2.8 vs 3.5-5.6

Maybe later:
    12-35 2.8 panasonic

Thank you for taking the time to add your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Oly is going to release a 40-150 Pro mu43 lens.

Also, the 50-200 4/3 lens is considered very good, but only on the E-M1.

What subjects will you shoot?

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

3. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    You might want to consider an adapted lens. There are many excellent manual SLR lenses available for relatively little money. You would of course give up AF and auto exposure except for aperture priority modes. The GH4 focus peaking should work well with an adapted lens (my GX7 does).

4. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Barry,
    Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming lenses, and scaring away thread tumbleweed. I tend to have the luck of buying things right before a vastly updated and superior version is released.

I shoot various sports, wildlife, and of course my dog in action with a boomer ball chuckle. Repeatedly I have found myself looking for reach and speed in my next camera purchase. Often thankfully the longest reach shots are often semi stationary wildlife which of course can be a little less demanding but that isn't always the case. I am primarily looking at Panasonic's lens line up for the stabilization to go with the GH4.

5. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    -Biomed

I haven't tried shooting manual focus for action (just macro) in some time so my skills probably wouldn't be up to snuff against modern autofocus or I hope not given my level of rust.

6. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Another factor I perhaps need to take into account is stabilization abilities if there is significant variation in capability. I have heard recent Panasonic's bridges have did well even with long focal range so the fz1000 should hopefully be strong in this area. How is the "power" and "mega" I believe it is called stabilization in the panasonic 4/3 lens?

7. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

You're best bet for super reach combined with good auto-focus might be a used or deeply discounted or refurb Nikon 1 V2 (V1 or V3 also) with a Nikon FT-1 adapter to allow you to use the Nikkor 70-300 VR lens. That lens is like ~$350 refurb (or it was last year when I looked) and is supposed to be a much better lens than the DX 55-200 or 55-300 especially at the long end (focus speed is better too). I think this route lets you use AF on the center, but they also have a new Nikkor 1 version 70-300 for $1000 but I don't know many people that would want to put that amount of money in a lens that can only be used on the '1' mount. I think with the 70-300 you would be at 189-810mm with autofocus and light weight.

Eli

8. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

Actually if you consider the Nikon 1 route check the buy and sale forum here. Somebody is getting rid of their V1 kit including multiple lenses and adapter for a killer price. Just add a used/refurb 70-300 VR and you are still less than a d7100 new, with 10fps with phase detect autofocus that actually works.

9. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    I had looked at the Nikon V3 and 700-300CX lens combo. That 810 mm reach is impressive. Well I should say tried to look as I am the pour over tons of written reviews, video reviews, and sample images type of course hands on if available locally. While personal preferences, bias, brand loyalty etc can creep into reviews intentionally or not, I think read enough of them you tend to have a much better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a solution as everything has trade offs and sometimes a few gotchas. The more perspectives and data the better. With both of the v3 and new 70-300 that is very hard to do. Finding out about AF-speed and accuracy or say stabilization effectiveness etc is difficult as there isn't a lot of reviews on it.

I had read there was a scenario using the v3s burst abilities that it would lock up for 43 seconds writing to the card? Can anyone tell me about the gh4's buffer after it fills?

10. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    One of the things I really like about m4/3 and investing in some glass is both Panasonic and Olympus are developing for it.

Several times reviewers have said "well no one buys a gh4 for a stills camera" which makes me chuckle as that is exactly what I am considering, with top notch video considered a bonus. From the reviews I have read it has some of the best mirrorless AF. It also seemed very competitive in its performance and IQ is on par with other top 4/3 cameras, what isn't to like about the GH4 stills or still photography performance?

11. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Thanks for reminding me of the V3 as a fourth option but after reading over the dpreview review of the Nikon V3, it doesn't seem it is for me so back to the original three choices. I haven't got a lot of feedback from GH4 owners here, maybe a lot of them aren't using the longer range capabilities or there isn't a lot of GH4 owners on the forums yet? Obviously not a lot of FZ1000, 7DMk2/Nikon 400/7200 owners:)

12. Nichia5w

Nichia5w New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2014
    Obviously with any longer range solution stabilization is a big deal. Which is generally considered more effective the in camera stabilization of the E1 in body or the on lens of the panny lenses?

13. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I use the GH4 primarely for stills m8, you are not alone :smile:
    Whenever I read or hear non sense, I try to find what interests are behind them!

Anyway, we are all waiting Panasonic to release a long telephoto with stabilisation

Oly user are waiting for the 300mm F4 non stabilized.

For the time being the 100-300 is the only option for autofocus long reach on those who love the GH cams.

14. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    At greater than 400mm focal lengths the combination of IS and hand-holdability becomes limited and pricey (Cannon's 400mm f4 DO at over 5k). The EM-1 and the 75-300 is an option. The IQ is good (better than the 100-300 I have heard) but the lens is f6.7 at the long end and the EM-1's C-AF is poor. You could wait for the Oly 300mm f4 (with an EM-1) if you really need IS. I don't know yet how reliable the AF will be for action, though.