Long Telephoto Lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ajay1, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Ajay1

Ajay1 New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Hi,

I'm new to the forum, but I've been in the photography business for many years. I primarily do bird photography/videography and use Canon equipment for my photography work and use a GH3 for video. Typically for birds I'm at 840mm (600mm +1.4x TC). Yes, I realize M43 "effectively" doubles the mm lens, but 300mm is not enough. I'm looking for at least 400mm if not greater and of course tack sharp, preferably f/4.

I have looked high and low, but I have not seen/heard of any such telephoto lens for M43 cameras. I'd prefer Panasonic since I have been using the GH2/3 and now I'm looking forward to the video capabilities of the GH4.

I have used a mechanical-only adapter which allows me to put the GH3 on my 600mm, but I only use it for video since autofocus does not work for photography.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It frustrates me to no end that I've got such a great video camera in the GH3, but no long lenses.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide,

Alan

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Welcome to the forums mate!

Unfortunately, no such native glass exists at this stage. There may be some 43 glass which you could use on an M1 with an adapter for functional autofocus.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    A Canon 600mm f4 lens is pretty impressive and I gather that you're using that with a FF body. If that is the case, then the 4/3 300mm f2.8 on a m4/3 body and 1.4 converter, will give you the same results as your Canon in regard to field of view and, without a shadow of a doubt, as good if not better image quality. Considering that the Canon 600mm f4 costs in the order of AU$13,000, the Olympus 300mm f2.8 at AU$8,500 is a bargain (smaller and lighter as well).

4. Ajay1

Ajay1 New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Thanks Oz,

I have considered the Oly 300mm f2.8 but it's still too short. Is there a teleconverter that will work with that lens? Also, has anyone tried the Oly 300mm on a GH2/GH3?

Cheers,

Alan

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The Oly 300/2.8 will take the EC-14 and EC-20 teleconverters (1.4 and 2.0) without any trouble at all. I suspect the only MFT camera that really performs well in terms of autofocus with the lens is the E-M1, however. No personal experience though.

6. Ajay1

Ajay1 New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    That's kinda what I was thinking and I'd really like to use it with the GH3 and with the GH4 once it is available. I wish we could get Panasonic to build a longer lens. Their 100-300 isn't enough. A nice 400mm lens would be great for bird photographers. 500mm would be optimum.

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the 90-250mm f2.8 and the EC-14 and EC-20. It performs exceptionally well with the EC-14, but not so well with the EC-20 (at least for fast sports). The EC-20 works very well with the 7-14mm, 14-35mm and the 35-100mm. The problem when using the EC20 with a very long FL is that movement becomes a major issue. The 90-250mm, at 250mm, becomes the equivalent of a 1000mm lens on a Canon FF, so you couldn't use it effectively on a monopod. The 300mm f2.8 with EC-20 becomes a Canon FF equivalent of a 1200mm f5.6 lens, good luck keeping that steady.

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sadly super tele with AF is one area where m4/3 fails! One system I have seen a lot of birders use is the Nikon 1 with a long Nikkor and the Nikon brand adaptor. It allows for AF, although I think you are limited to spot but it does work. If I did more birds I would get one. The other option has already been discussed, using 4/3 lens and teleconverter on an E-M1.

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    m43 format is lacking these telephotos, but when I was over at our local bird sanctuary a few weeks back, I saw a few photographers using the Nikon 1 system with an FT-1 Nikon lens adapter so you can use F-mount lenses. Essentially, it is a 2.7x format, so it basically triples the reach and seen them using the Nikkor 70-200VR f/4 or the new 80-400mm f/4-5.6 VR II full frame. I've shot briefly with a Nikon 1 V2 with the FT-1 and I was impressed with the quality of the photos and its AF system using my own Nikkor telephotos. Though with a FT-1, you get only a single point focus but still very fast if you don't mind buying it just for that. And these people I see had some other system along with them.

Me. Not a birdie kind a guy, but it was fun nonetheless hunting birds with a camera! LOL

10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Ft-1 adapter will auto focus only with "s" lenses.

11. Ajay1

Ajay1 New to Mu-43

Feb 28, 2014
    Well...I guess I wait and hope that Metabones finally releases an adapter that will allow my Canon lenses to work the the GH3/GH4. They have been promising for YEARS that they are coming out with an adapter that will allow aperture control and image stabilization. I'd be happy with that I guess.

I'm really looking forward to the GH4.

12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Correct only AF-S lenses - or lenses with the focus motor built into them. It does work with Tamron and Sigma F mount lenses that have motors as well from what I understand.