Long range tethering with the EM5ii - The answer

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by magicaxeman, Jun 15, 2016.

1. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    After mulling this question over and asking everywhere without finding a definitive answer I can now conclusively answer the question.

Following some hard saving and a good PX deal on some lenses I finally bit the bullet and got an EM5ii.
    I would have loved to have stuck with the Pen F for everything but Olympus UK informed me they would not be updating the firmware to allow tethered shooting and as we all know sadly it has no weather sealing.

I went straight in at the deep end and tried tethered shooting with a 20 metre active USB repeater cable, with the Olympus cable plugged into it and voila!! it worked, a little slow and glitchy so far but its only a cheap cable and thats a long run of it as well.
    Switching to a 5 metre cable speeded things up no end and it worked perfectly and I now have plans to obtain and try both 10 & 15 metre cables to see if that makes any difference, I'm also going for USB 3 cables rather than USB1 or 2 due to their great bandwidth and better connectors, looking for the better quality ones, in fact I wish I could find a tether tools supplier near me but they seem to have limited stocks here in the UK offering mainly 5 metre cables rather than the longer ones.

Users should be aware that even using the supplied Olympus USB cable there are times when you go to change a setting and the software reports that the camera is busy, but hopefully this will be fixed in a later update of the capture software.

So the answer is yes it does work and will work with any USB tether enabled Olympus camera which sadly for now means just the EM1 & EM5ii, I would imagine the forthcoming Em1ii will have this feature and hopefully at some point in the future Olympus will realise the potential of the Pen F as a serious studio camera and release a firmware update to give the tethering ability to that camera as well.

But for now I will be able after nearly 8 years to take photographs of the wildlife and flora in my back garden as well as hopefully get some night sky shots & lightning shots when the opportunity arises.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
  3. magicaxeman

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I've literally just found out that Robert White cameras are stocking the TetherTools range so will probably go for one of theirs even though they are really expensive as their a proven & known quantity and designed with camera use in mind.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It does seem TetherTools have some nice cables & I would think that their USB-2 active extension cables (up to 20m) would be reasonably good since the camera is only USB-2 anyhow.

5. magicaxeman

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    Well I can now confirm that TetherTools cables are the mutts nuts when it comes to cables and much cheaper than the Startech option, the 15m run I bought ( 1x 10m & 1x 5m) along with some jerk stoppers came to £96 with next day delivery.
    No problems at all with the connection or with adding another good quality 5m repeater cable I have.
    The sleeving/armour of the cables is excellent I wouldn't worry about having them out in wet weather or on rough ground.
    The Jerkstoppers shield the connection points of the cables and also prevent the connection from being separated, the jerkstopper that fits on the camera strap mounting lugs works very well at relieving any strain or pull on the camera's USB socket.
    I feel quietly confident about these cables and the set up I now have, its taken years to work this out and get there but its as good as it can get now short of someone nice buying me a 300mm F4 ;)

• Like Like x 2