1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Long Night In The Undergrowth

Discussion in 'Nature' started by MarkB1, Mar 30, 2015.

1. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    The blue banded bee sleeps this way, gripping a suitable stem or edge - gives an opportunity for setting the background.

Careful to avoid waking him or he will fly to the nearest light - from where it is possible to capture him and set him to sleep again, from where he can take off in the morning, and return to at dusk.

p1030625-mark-berkery.

• Like Like x 39
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    Beautiful macro!

3. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Stunning capture, right down to the tiny drops on the bee's dorsal side.

Tony

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Loren and Tony. Your comments are appreciated.

'tis a wonderful world at our feet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Stunning shot and a good angle on this for perspective. Selective focus is bang on where it should be and excellent fine details.

Mind you, I should have known it was you from the shot Mark ;) Brilliant as always, great to see you.

Danny.

6. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    An echo from the past.

Thanks Danny ...

7. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Fantastic shot! How did you capture the shot in terms of lens, camera, lighting, tripod?

8. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Stefan. 2nd link in my sig covers my process, including some on tech 'n' technique. Basically, I still use the FZ50 + achromats most of the time, light is through a snoot and diffused (pix half way down sig/link page) for appropriate apparent size, never use a tripod - do use a stick often but more likely I will grip the platform in one hand and rest lens on same for stability.

So this bee is asleep at night at the end of a stem which I hold in left hand and rest lens on same, lens doesn't extend and achromat more or less fixes working distance so it's not that difficult with some practise. Check the link for more ...

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Great tutorial! Exactly what I have been looking for, as I want to keep things "simple" and as I struggle with poor eyesight I pretty much rely entirely on AF. So very encouraging to see what can be achieved with your techniques. I doubt I will ever be able to capture as stunning images as you have - they are nothing short of amazing - but it has certainly inspired me to try harder as it is obvious that I have not made the most of my equipment yet.

Thanks a lot

10. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I read your tutorial with great interest. I want to improve my macro a lot this year, using the EM-1 and 60mm macro lens. It looks like it's important that I improve my use of flash (something I haven't had much success with).

Thank you for the excellent tutorial!

11. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Seriously so annoyed.

With your tips in mind I got up extra early this morning to hunt blue stripe bees.

Found one. Still sleeping, not even in the pump-and-heat phase yet.

Got close - oh dear wrong angle here.

Turn around the other side.

Go to carefully move the branch obscuring him from that spot.

Accidentally thump it straight into him.

Bee annoyed, falls off, sound of groggy buzzing somewhere in the undergrowth :(

Enjoy photos of bee bottoms everyone.

p4090001thagph9.

p4090003thzypp8.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Stefan. As long as it's enjoyed that's best. Poor eyesight, know it better as I get older ... :)

13. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks Loren. Good lighting is all about apparent light size - http://strobist.blogspot.com.au/2007/07/lighting-102-unit-21-apparent-light.html - diffusion and angle. Have a look here - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/780820/ - you will see the kind of lighting/diffusion of some very good macro shooters, and compare their output. If you get the idea you're halfway there. The other half is practise and experiment.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Good first shots m8. Practise makes ... and don't wake the little fellas, they need their rest for a very busy day.

15. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I enjoyed even more now, knowing that it is not the equipment which is the limiting factor, thanks for the inspiration :)

16. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Apparently I got even the type of bee it is wrong, it's a teddy bear bee?! :D

17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And when these bees aren't asleep, this is the best I could come up with so far (cropped).

M3233973-s.

One day Mark..... maybe I'll get a good macro shot like yours Mark. :hail: :2thumbs:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  18. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Visited your links. @MarkB1@MarkB1 and the sites are filled with excellent images! Love them all.

19. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Welcome ... :)

20. MarkB1

MarkB1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 30, 2010
    Australia
    Ha, it is missing the blue bands usually found on a Blue banded Bee - but then they don't all have them at all times in all places.