Long macro options

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by BigTom, Nov 26, 2013.

1. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Hi all,

I'm currently using the Olympus 35 3.5 macro with an adaptor, which is cheap, produces nice images and is an appropriate size for m43. However, I'm finding the short working distance a real pain - my old 150mm Sigma is one of the few things I really miss from my DSLR setup.

I've been toying with the idea of getting the Olympus 60mm, but I'm not sure that'll be long enough either.

So I guess what I'm after are macro lens options which will maximise working distance without being too large or costing a great deal.

2. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Why not add extension tubes to the mix? They will increase your distance to subject I would think.
  3. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Extensions tubes decrease working distance.
  4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I'd recommend just about any 90mm to 105mm legacy macro. You can hardly find one that's less than excellent. One that frequently comes up at prices in the $100~125 range is the Tamron 90mm f2.5 SP Macro.
  5. Not a cheap lens, but what abut the Vivitar Series 1 90-180 Macro? A few on E-Bay at the moment. This is a parfocal lens, will do 1:1 on m43.
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    No, it still only does 1:2. The sensor doesn't change the reproduction ratio, just the crop of the image circle. Aka. if something is 2mm across, regardless of sensor choice, a lens would still reproduce the same size onto the sensor (in this case 1mm).
    • Like Like x 1