1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Long macro lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Rapscallion, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Cardiff
    Phil
    Hi all.

I am looking for a long telephoto macro lens. So what is the longest legacy 1:1 macro lens? The longest i am aware of is the sigma and tamron 180mm.

Any ideas?

2. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I may be wrong, but I think someone posted a long legacy macro - perhaps a 105mm. It's no 180mm, but it's fairly long.

Why do you need a long macro?

I'm having difficulty shooting with my Vivitar 55/2.8 macro - I've put it up for sale. I guess I'm too accustomed to short focal length macro, specifically, my ZD 35/3.5 for my 4/3 kit.

3. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
  4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    I have Kiron 105mm F2.8 I cannot be more pleased with it. I have tried a few macros but this one has been the sharpest/creamiest bokeh/most accurate colors/easiest to work with in my hands. Not sure whether that is long enough for you.

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Cardiff
    Phil
    Hi all. i was looking for bot a long tele and a macro lens. i thought i could kill 2 birds by getting a long macro lens.

I was aware of the pana and oly lenses. Interested in seeing what lenses could be used with an adapter, so manual lenses would be great.

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Micro Nikkor 200mm f/4.0?

--Ken

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The OP asked for a "legacy 1:1 macro lens" and is posting in the Adapted Lenses forum, so I'm assuming he already knows this. ;)

Yes, manual is all you need for macro. If using it for macro work then AF is a totally moot feature.

However, although I do support your idea of getting a tele-macro due to its better perspective and working space (providing ease of lighting as well as distance from skitterish subjects), I do not suggest that you try to kill two birds with one stone by using your tele-macro as a general-purpose telephoto.

It doesn't matter if the lens has AF or MF only, a macro lens will have a long focus throw for accurate, precise focus as well as having a long travel due to its extensive close-focus range. What that means is that it is extremely slow to focus a macro lens, particularly when focusing manually (the m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 is the first macro lens I've seen which manages to pull off fast AF). They are specialized lenses for a specialized purpose.

Also, in order to get those macro capabilities you will be limiting yourself to a smaller aperture and/or much larger lens than necessary for a non-macro of the same focal length. However, there is a plus to that though, since macro lenses are notoriously sharp. The standard for sharpness in macro lenses is much higher than general lenses, which is a particularly good thing when buying legacy glass. You can generally consider your purchase safe when buying macro because of their high optical standard.

So I think your idea of killing two birds with one stone does hold some merit but I would still suggest against it. If you have tried focusing a long macro lens on a regular basis, which could take 2.5 full turns around to get from close focus to infinity (like my Kiron 105mm/2.8 does - and my digital era Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 is at least as slow if not slower!), then you will understand how frustrating that can be. I can manually focus fast enough to keep with with fast-paced sporting events, so it's not the manual focus that slows me down - it's the long focus range of the macro lenses. It's just not a practical solution for general-purpose photography. I would pick up two legacy lenses instead, one for macro and one for a fast telephoto.

8. klythawk

klythawk Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Nottingham U.K.
    John
    Sorry, misread the OP.

9. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    Sorry I mixed up the Word legacy :-(

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I think I've heard of a 200mm but can't remember which manufacturer.

However I'd agree with Ned's comments on it's practicality for you.
    I suspect a ~100mm macro and a separate telephoto will be both cheaper & more usable if you're after both (could easily be lighter too!).

11. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Pentax made a legendary 200/4 ED macro in manual focus:
    A* 200/4 Macro ED

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

12. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I would disagree with this statement. My ZD 35/3.5 macro is wonderful with AF - even down to 1:1 (which, if you've experienced this lens, means the tip of the lens is very close to the subject). I've tried everything with macro: bellows, focusing rails, twin flashes, ring lights...MF and AF and native and legacy lenses.

They *all* work. It's just a matter of patience and working with limitations.

Basically, if you wish to AF for macro and if it works for you, then by all means, do it.

For me, I can trust AF more than I can trust my own eyes to MF.

13. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I find I can use my Tamron SP90mm F2.4 AD2 manual focus as a sports tele on my OMD and the slightly slower than normal focus makes it easier to follow focus than a normal tele and definitely easier than focus by wire.
    Yes as mentioned there is lots of turns from infinity to macro but as I tend to be doing one or the other it's only once per session.

My version is a MF version (52BB) that needs the matching tube to do 1:1 but I have that as well.

14. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Cardiff
    Phil
    Hi all,

many thanks for the responses. I am aware of the potential for a macro lens to be very slow focussing - i used to have a sigma 105 on my nikon dslr, and if it missed focus and needed to track all the way out and back it seemed to take an eternity! My intention was to use it as a dual purpose macro / long landscape lens so speed neednt be that important. i was hoping that there maybe some older macro lenses available for not that much money (i read a blog post today re the pentax linked to above that said that a purhase at $800+ was a bargain, so that one is out!). The other alternative is to get the oly 60 mm macro and separate ~300mm lens. SO what manual focus ~300mm prime lenses are hidden gems for not a great deal of money? Like i said above, primary purpose will be for landscape and abstract photography.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Early generation Nikkor 300mm f/4.0 lenses have a good reputation for being sharp. Try to find one that does not require the drop-in filter, or find one that has the filter in good condition.

--Ken

16. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Nikon made a 200mm f4. "micro" lens Around $400 on keh.com I'd love to try one. Maybe for Christmas.

17. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Don't worry about the mm's... you want APO glass - Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 SL specifically :biggrin:

18. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2013
    Cardiff
    Phil
    Thank you all for the responses. Yet to find a high quality, cheap lens!

19. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Another option is extension tubes or a bellows.

20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Do you mean 300mm for landscapes? The effective 600mm is kinda long for that purpose.