Long Exposures with GH4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ijm5012, Jul 4, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last week, my wife and I were in London for our Honeymoon. We spent 6 days over in England, 4 in London and 2 in the small town of Chichester in the southern part of England for the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Before we left, I researched some good areas to go to regarding photography in London. I found some good guides that definitely helped me plan out what I wanted to see, particularly for night photography. My kit for the long exposures consisted of the following:
    • Panasonic GH4
    • Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8
    • Sirui T-005X tripod
    • Panasonic RSL1 shutter remote
    • Panasonic 3-stop & Haida 10-stop ND filters
    • LE Calculator iPhone App
    My "process" consisted of getting the framing set and checking the base exposure @ ISO 200 and the desired aperture value without any ND filter. I then took the reported shutter speed, put it in to the App and set what ND filter I was going to use (3 or 10 stop). From there, all I did was set the camera to bulb mode, and lock the shutter for the required amount of time (the App has a built-in timer that counts down, so you know when to release the shutter).

I've heard that you need to have a sturdy tripod to do really long exposures, but I was really surprised with how well my small T-005X tripod did. Some of the shots were taken in windy conditions, but it didn't appear to impact the final image quality at all. I was very happy with the small, compact, and light set-up. I think the images below speak for themselves, I can't wait to get some of these printed and up on the walls at our apartment.

17mm, f/5.6, ISO 800, 258s

23mm, f/11, ISO 200, 206s

12mm, f/8, ISO 200, 173s

13mm, f/11, ISO 100, 42s

12mm, f/11, ISO 100, 206s

12mm, f/11, ISO 200, 257s
    • Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Fantastic colors and clarity.
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Absolutely killed it! I really like these.
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing