Long Exposures with a 10 stop ND the DIY way

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Ryan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Getting into long exposure photography is really fun, but also pretty costly when buying some 10 stop filters from brands such as Hoya ,Cokin, B&W and Lee, etc.

Me along with a friend of mine decided to venture into this when he heard of a solution using welding helmet glass. So we started doing some research.

Welding glass come in many shades. Shades are pretty close to "stops" so using a shade 10 is like using a 10 stop filter from the famous brands.

The catch to using welding glass is it is tinted green in most cases, so doing anything but b&w long exposures you will get a green cast on the entire image, which is removable by messing with the white balance, i have not personally done this as I shoot b/w 95% the time.

I bought my glass from ebay for 5 dollars in a 4x5 inch shape, dimensions vary from company to company. I hotglued a old 52mm lens hood to the glass so all i need is to use a stepup ring for whatever lens I have to 52mm thread, in this case a 37mm-52 and a 40.5-52. You can hotglue it to a step up ring if you like it does not matter much. the entire setup cost me 10 dollars, and the photos come plenty sharp through the glass, of course theirs a learning curve but its pretty small.

I use this setup on my om-d not the e-pl1 as pictured.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansilva/8058234673/" title="_A053891 by Ryan Silva, on Flickr"> View attachment 234476 "640" height="512" alt="_A053891"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansilva/8058234917/" title="_A053886 by Ryan Silva, on Flickr"> View attachment 234477 "640" height="512" alt="_A053886"></a>

Green cast

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansilva/8058234994/" title="_A053868 by Ryan Silva, on Flickr"> View attachment 234478 "513" height="640" alt="_A053868"></a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansilva/8058234802/" title="_A053868-Edit by Ryan Silva, on Flickr"> View attachment 234479 "512" height="640" alt="_A053868-Edit"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryansilva/8058236167/" title="_9293765-Edit by Ryan Silva, on Flickr"> View attachment 234480 "640" height="427" alt="_9293765-Edit"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A nice, creative solution. Do you get the same effect on B&W that you would using a green filter? Î wonder what that would do to landscapes as opposed to water?

3. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Thanks Bob! The green cast goes away immediately when converting to black and white, i dont think it affected tone either.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting! I only mentioned the green effect because programs such as NIK allow you to use various color filters to alter B&W. Of course, these allow you to remove a certain color such as green or red or blue - I wasn't sure what effect adding color might have.
    You also reminded me that I have a set of rectangular Cokin style filter that I need to try with my E-P3. :cool: 

5. Ryan

Ryan Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2011
    Gotcha, much like the red filters and yellows etc from the film days. I havent noticed a change in tone but it will be interesting to see if it really does, i'll take note of it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Those are some awesome tones that you've got going on! (Nice DIY too!) :2thumbs:

7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    You can actually buy welding glass that is (I think) already the correct size to fit in a Cokin style plastic holder - you can get Cokin holders (well knock off copies) on ebay for a few pounds/dollars and the welding glass also on ebay or on amazon for £2 delivered. As you can see from the customer reviews quite a few people have been using them for this non originally intended purpose :smile:
    Welding Glass 4 x 3 Replacement lens Shade 9 - Cheap Postage: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Welding Glass 4 x 3 Replacement lens Shade 10 - Cheap Postage: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

When someone posted this idea on a UK photo forum complete with an ebay link to the £1 glass, the seller went from a couple of orders a week to hundreds in a few days. He wondered what on earth was going on and why welding had suddenly become so popular until he asked one of the buyers and they gave him a link to the forum, which solved the mystery. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Clever!

So is this the same thing?

Though it occurs to me that I have an unopened b&w 10 stop ND filter so I don't need to DIY lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.