Long exposure critique please!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by nickthetasmaniac, May 29, 2011.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi people. I recently took delivery of a sexy new Gitzo so I've been having a long-awaited crack at some long-exposures. I'm reasonably happy with what I've been getting so far, but they're by no means perfect so some feedback and suggestions on technique and stuff would be appreciated!

Basic camera settings are RAW with long exposure NR on, pre-set white balance, manual focus, base sensitivity and 2sec delay.

GH2 and Pentax K-24/f2.8 @ 60", f5.6 and 160iso

5770447956_ec2bd25ea3_b.
    GH2 and 7-14/f4 @ f4, 117" and 160iso

GH2 and Pentax-K 24/f2.8 @ f5.6, 60" and 160iso

GH2 and Pentax-M 50/f1.4 @ f5.6, 50" and 169iso

• Like Like x 3
  2. Some of the exposures might be a little bit too long perhaps. I would try keeping the same exposure but closing down the aperture further to increase the star effect of the point light sources. In the colour versions it is interesting to see what I assume is the different colour casts created by the various types of lighting. I wonder how the camera's auto white balance measures a scene like this.

BTW I don't really know know what Gitzo is, but I'm assuming that it is v. cool

3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I agree with Luckypenguin.

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Yeah, probably a bit too long...the 2nd one in particular seems rather plain/dull. Not much pop for a long exposure shot.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks! Yes I agree that the photos with lights are over-exposed... Interestingly enough, they all read about +1ev on the GH2's meter, which seems about right and shows how accurate it is, even for manual lenses and 1min exposures!

The lighting was very tricky indeed. The council uses coloured 'mood' lighting through this area, which is fine, except that have a heap of different colours, from the yellow streetlights to green, blue and red highlights... Nightmare for WB :confused:

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    High end tripod

• Like Like x 1