1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Long day - No Sleep

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Robert Watcher, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

One reason that we hadn't headed back to Nicaragua earlier - was because we
    have been anticipating the arrival of a new grandson.

So we got the call yesterday morning at 2:30AM and headed into the city right away. At 5PM we had our little man - - - Jett Corbin Watcher.

To be discrete - the camera I carried with me was my Olympus E-PL3 with 14-42 kit lens. It was fairly dark in the room as all of the family headed in - and disappointingly, everyones iPhone pictures ended up being blurry.

The highest I wanted to go was around 1250 ISO and so I kept it there and held as steady as possible. It wouldn't have helped having a faster lens as the DOF would have been too shallow for the shots that I wanted. As it was, closeups of the baby at f5.6 only allowed one eye to be in focus.

This shot is with zoom set to 20mm (40mm @ FF equivalent) - f4 @ 1/15'th second @ 1250 ISO - - - any film structure including some grain, were added with SilverFX Pro.

ryashjett.

• Like Like x 6
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Very nice portrait.

3. Robert Watcher

Thank you. It was literally a moment of their time that I took, in a crammed room with 15 people including small kids - and terrible labour room background. From experience, I just move in tight.

crowded.

BTW - another feature I make good use of on my mirrorless cameras - - - the tilt screen for high viewpoints like this.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Congratulations! :cloud-9-039:
    Now go get some coffee....:smile:

5. Robert Watcher

What a difference 2 days makes. Anne and I headed in to Ryan and Ashley's house to get our traditional shot that we have with all of our grandchildren - of one of our hands holding the babies, with their face in the background. We haven't seen Jett since the hour right after his birth. It was like he was a little boy already, instead of a baby.

Olympus Pen, E-PL3 w/ 14-42 kit lens at 38mm setting (76mm FF equivalent) - f5.4 @ 1/125'th @ 1600 ISO - - - camera set to Monochrome

second_day.

• Like Like x 5
  6. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Love that one!!!

7. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Excellent work Robert, I feel better about my kit lens now. :thumbup:

8. alfredo_tomato

alfredo_tomato Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 3, 2013
    Kentucky
    That is beautiful!

The composition reminds me of the Madonna and Child paintings. The hand is over the heart as the Child is over the Madonna's heart.

9. kds315

kds315 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Weinheim, Germany
    Sweet!

10. winnie123

winnie123 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2012
    London, U.K
    Marilyn
    Beautiful photo's - congratulations!

11. Robert Watcher

Thank you all for the nice sentiments. Jett is turning into a little man now. We had him and his sister for a day at the fall fair this past week. This time - while he was sleeping in his stroller, his feet intrigued me:

jettfeet.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1