Long and fast lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by GRID, Jan 18, 2013.

1. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    So what long (75-150mm) and fast lenses is there that have ok Imagequality.
    I´m looking for something faster than F1.4 if there is any?

Thx for any help.
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    only one I can think of is the canon 85/1.2

there have been 75/1.4 from leica and 85/1.4 from contax and I am sure others swell

I have an ancient sigma 135/1.8, but dont think there has ever been many long sub f2 lenses ever made.

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Plenty of F1.4 85 mm lenses, but can't really think of much else that's longer and faster. Canon's EF 200/1.8 is the fastest I'm aware of in the longer telephoto range. Why the need for that kind of aperture, though? Depth of Field is already tiny as hell at F2.8 at longer focal lengths..
  4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Then there's the Olympus 150mm ƒ2.0
  5. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I would like to try out more artsy photos, but also be able to get more DOF on bigger subjects far away.

Maybe 50mm would be nice also, i´ve found a few that i will search for.
Leica Noctilux-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH,
    Noktor 50mm f/0.95 ‘HyperPrime’
    Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 50mm f/1.1 Leica M
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.0
    Angenieux 50mm f/0.95

Kowa 55mm f/1.0

Seems to be alot more to look for in 50mm :)
  6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    There is also the Minolta 58mm f/1.2 (one I'm dreamt about many a time), Minolta 50mm f/1.2, Konica 57mm f/1.2, Canon 55 f/1.2, Nikon 55mm f/1.2.

I would say if you're even considering a M glass for a m4/3 camera of that level, just don't. I've shot the most current Noctilux, 50mm Summilux-M f/1.4, and various other top end Leica lenses on the EM-5. Wide open they don't offer much for performance and show a tremendous amount of fringing. On the M9-P or M Monochrom, it's a different story. Cool to use, but for the price of some of those lenses you'd be better off getting a full framed camera and a fast telephoto.

You can pick up the Voigtländer Nokton for a decent price though, it gets pretty mixed reviews but can be had under $1k USD.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011

Ok, thx for the tips, very good info! :)
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The Canon FD85mm f1.2L will allow you aperture contrrol. I would think if you can find one, it will be your best choice. None of the EF lenses will without difficulty. Theres a Nikon 135 f2 lens out there somewhere. Olympus make the spectacular 150mm f2 4/3 lens. Sony currently make a 135mm f1.8 that's highly regarded but again, aperture control would be an issue.

I'm with Joe on the Leica lenses. I have the 50mm 1.1 Nokton and it's an average performer on both 4/3 and NEX. The 35mm 1.2 is better due to it's ASPH design. The only lens that is excellent is my 135mm APO but that's f3.4 and 4 grand for a new one.

9. sge998

sge998 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2013
    San Francisco, CA
    I would suggest you try the Voigtlander Heliar 75mm F/1.8 lens. It has a classic image rendition and creamy bokeh. Very sharp from f/2.8 and on. For it's price you might consider the olympus as a better substitute but it's lens characteristics simply out classes the oly in my opinion.
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I translate this in my head as photos that are uniquely rendered.... don't derail your search by assuming that this is merely a function of a large max aperture.

IMO, some of the most "uniquely" (some weird effects) I've seen in recent digital times are coming out of people who are experimenting with cinema lenses in c-mount (or any number of different mounts... Tmount?). Some, such as Angenieux lenses, have sky rocketed in price because of the demand (Some in the several thousand USD range).

Just simply stating to look further... than just long and fast.

Look for odd optics...

Look for older less corrected optics...

Look for single coated optics...

Heck.. Some neat stuff are surprisingly coming from security camera lenses...

One of the coolest things about micro 4/3 is the ability to adapt almost any lens to it... take advantage of it.
  11. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
  12. Harmonica

Harmonica Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2012