1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

London's last darkrooms

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by angloasturian, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Nice photographs. They make me nostalgic for something I never experienced.....a most unusual sensation. I can only imagine working in a darkroom and trying to contain my excitement while I waited to see if my shots were any good. Now I know instantly that they're garbage.

Thanks for the link!

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    They make me nostalgic for something I have in the basement. I have not printed in my darkroom since 2004. I have not done anything but visit it a few times just to put things in perspective when I feel overwhelmed.

Maybe us film shooters should post images of the darkroom so those that never smelled fixer on the hands could see what it looks like....

what say youse all....?

Colin, this is your thread.... you make the call...

3. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Thanks Colin for posting that. It sure brought back memories of the good old days when we (at my house) cleaned out the coal from the space it was in and then cleaned the area and converted it to my darkroom. Oh yes, those were the good old days....about to make an exposure on the enlarger when a train went by and had to wait until it had gone to finish what I was doing, and oh yes, the red light and watching the image come up in the developer, the smell of the hypo, all that is now a memory of days gone past!

4. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have a Nikon F5 and up to five years ago I shot mainly film and had a full darkroom. I moved and in the move I dismantled my darkroom and at the same time bought a dSLR as a stop gap. The darkroom still sits in boxes in my new basement and I suspect it will never be used again. It is almost scary to see how fast things change, but life must move on!

5. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    Top of the week I visited a friend of mine, a member of the RPS , in her darkroom. Ohhh, I guess minimum 3 (three) enlarger for 13x18 cm and a few smaller ones.
    Basins in the size of a dolphinarium...:rolleyes:

She printed for a lot of well known photographers as Newton and shoots by herself:

Fotografie Renate Scherra

One day I'll drop into her basement with my best frames.....:smile:

6. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Darkroom

My darkroom, like Grant's, is now in boxes in a storeroom we have in the basement of my block of flats. I could bring it up and install it in the guest bathroom - but I just can't see me getting round to it. Once you get used to the ease of digital photography it seems like too much hassle. Now, if I want to use film (I have three Voigtlanders), I get it professionally developed and scan the photos into my PC. But I must admit the old darkroom process had a certain magic.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    These photographs make me feel very nostalgic. As a child, I spent countless hours in my father's darkroom. It was pure magic. I have his old equipment stored somewhere; maybe I have to experiment with enlarging photos myself...

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Strat,
    If ya do, I have chemicals you can't get anymore.
    Let me know....
    Don