London, England

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ijm5012, Jul 6, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My wife and I took our honeymoon at the end of June (nearly a year after we got married), spending 4 days in London, and 2 days at the Goodwood Festival of Speed down in Chichester (down on the southern cost of England). Below are some images from our time spent in London (a fantastic city BTW).

All images shown below were shot on my GH4, with either the Panasonic 25mm, 12-35, or 35-100, however I also used my Panasonic 15mm and 45-175. For the long exposure shots, they were done with either a Panasonic 3-stop or Haida 10-stop ND filter on my 12-35.

Some of these images are cross posted from my "Long Exposures with GH4" thread in the Panasonic section, but seeing that this section is for travel I thought I would post some of them here as well (along with some other images).

Below are links to the flickr albums from our trip.

Goodwill Festival of Speed -

ZSL London Zoo -

London -

I appreciate you checking out the below images, as well as any comments you may have. Cheers!

St. Ermin's Hotel in Westminster, about a 5 minute walk from Buckingham Palace. My wife and I stayed here for the duration of our vacation (thanks Marriott points!)

Speaking of Buckingham Palace, I shot this on our last evening there at roughly 9:30 PM. A 4 minute 17 second exposure.

We also visited the Natural History Museum. Below is a 3 minute 26 second exposure.

We spent some time at Leadenhall Market one evening to grab a bite to eat, as well as get the below shot. Leadenhall Market is more famously known as Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter movies.

The below shot of my wife was taken at Regents Park one evening after we visited the Zoo in London. My wife really like the flowers, I really liked the lighting, haha

The Lemur exhibit at the London Zoo is very cool, where you actually enter the exhibit with the animals. It allows you to get some great shots of the beautiful animals.

Below is a panoramic shot of King's Cross Station, also known from the Harry Potter movies as being the location of Platform 9 3/4. My wife wanted to go get a picture of it, I was more interested in the amazing architecture.

Below is a shot I took at about 4:45 AM down on the river Thames. The building is City Hall, and the bridge is the famous Tower Bridge. The exposure is just shy of 3 minutes.

An evening shot of Big Ben and Westminster Bridge. The clouds were amazing yet again, which look even better with a 4+ minute exposure.

The last image I'll share is nearly a 3 and a half minute exposure of the London Eye. The sky was an amazing shade of purple, and the red lights contrasted nicely.
    • Like Like x 24
    • Winner Winner x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    Great shots! But where the double decker bus? :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
  4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    These are magnificent!
  5. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    These really inspire me to try out some long exposure shooting (never really new what the purpose of this would be untill now).
    Great shots and thanks for the inspiration.
  6. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Great shots! I'm hoping to get back to London sometime next year with my family. You've given me a couple great ideas for places to visit and set a high standard for photos to take while I'm there.
  7. pinkjewelpics

pinkjewelpics New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2015
  8. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

very nice photos! I live not far from Chichester and make a trip up to the Natural History Museum once or twice a year so my son can see the dinosaurs. I'd love to get along to the festival of speed, but maybe when the little ones are a bit older!
  9. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thank you to all of you who responded favorably, it's greatly appreciated!

@Levster@Levster, how do you live near Chichester but've never been to the FoS!? It's an amazing event! When the little ones get older, take them to it and get them hook on motorsports from a young age. It's a great event with tons of access for the fans.
  10. Terrific shots, especially City Hall. Love the colours.
    Looking at your zoo set might I make a small suggestion about shooting animals in zoos. Always best, if you have the time, to wait for an engaging moment and try to isolate the subject against a more natural background to eliminate any sign of their enclosure (not always easy!). This may involve taking close-ups. In my humble experience it makes for a more powerful and engaging portrait.

Examples below:

Warm Regards,
    Alpha Whiskey
  11. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2012
    Sheffield, Yorkshire, England.
  12. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    I like how you post-processed on all of them. The colors are just about right not overly or under- saturated. Do you mind sharing if you use any particular preset in lightroom and or other software? Excellent set!
  13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the tip @Alpha Whiskey Photography@Alpha Whiskey Photography, I'll have to try it when I go to the local zoo this summer (although it's difficult with only 175mm as the max reach. I'm eagerly anticipating the announcement from Panasonic this week about the rumored new telephoto lens).

@jsusilo@jsusilo, all the images were run though LR6. For the long exposure shots like of city hall or Buckingham palace, I pulled the highlights back 100% to help bring out the colors in the sky, boosted the shadows by 50%, increased the contrast and clarity to give the image some depth since the work done with the highlights/shadows flattens the image, and then bumped up the overall saturation and vibrance, before going in and tweaking the sky colors individually.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Three of them probably went by during the 4 minute exposure.:) Great shots, and full credit for those long exposures.
  16. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    The long exposure/DD Bus image to try and go for is on Westmister bridge, Blue Hour, second curtain sync flash. But getting the shutter to close (and the flash to fire) just as the bus gets close but not too close is going to drive you mad!
  17. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Superb images. Great use of long exposures to lose the crowds. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app