1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lomography Petzval Lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Jul 25, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Looks like Lomography is working with Zenit to produce a new Petzval lens for modern FF DSLRs (rather than 19th century large format):

The Lomography Petzval Portrait Lens by Lomography — Kickstarter

Looks pretty neat, and of course it could be adapted easily to MFT. :)

It looks like people supporting their Kickstarter campaign can get the lens at a nice discount too, starting at $300 you get a copy of the lens with your pledge, where the planned retail price is $499.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting, although using it on :43: it would be a telephoto equivalent to 170mm - not as useful for portrait work.

3. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    True, though I've used the Rokinon 85mm which is the same effective FOV and it isn't that bad. In a small studio you have issues, but outdoors it's actually fairly nice.

And it's better than an actual vintage Petzval lens, which range from about 150mm - 300mm and have an image circle for medium or large format film.

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    A similar 'lens effect' & the swirly Bokeh can be had with many c mount lenses, which can be had cheaper & at faster apertures. (Though not for DSLRs)
    I also have to save I think the old lens looks much nicer than the prototypes.

My antique Petzval lens only cost me 10% of what they're charging so I don't think this is for me!

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Here is a good example of a portrait which leverages the signature c-mount swirly bokeh. It's not exactly the same look as a Petzval lens, but it has much the same effect.

6. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I've done some similar looks with my $30 c-mount lens. :)

I'm actually surprised how popular it is -- they've already raised 3x their target on Kickstarter. Someone's even paid $2500 to get the tour and the first commercial lens.

7. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have a real soft spot for russian optics. I'm tempted by this, but it behaves visually like others said like a c mount lens. Or use... you know, one of the old soviet lenses I already own. I am however a little miffed that a company like lomography is making a kickstarter for a new product, but what ev's, that's a different thread :wink: (the money they have raised so far is mind boggling)

8. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Kickstarter seems to be attracting more established companies now. It's basically a way to get an interest free loan from your customers as well as gauging interest.

They're basically getting 1200 preorders for the lens and a bunch of publicity.

9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very interesting. Are they going to make a wooden box to put the DSLR into?

I am tempted but will wait until they are out and get reviewed before I make any judgement.

10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I really dig the look of the sample shots taken with the antique lens. The example shots taken with the prototype don't seem to look nearly as nice, though. Hard to say for sure since they're different pictures, and not head-to-head comparisons. But based just on the sample prototype images, I'm not that eager.

11. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    With 10 days still to go on the Kickstarter, they've exceeded their goal by $1.1 million. :eek:

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

"turn every photo into a timeless artwork"

Promise?