1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lomography Experimental Lens Kit

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by madogvelkor, Oct 17, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    With all of the news from Sony and Panasonic, this new line of lenses from Lomography is probably getting overlooked:

http://microsites.lomography.com/micro-four-thirds-experimental-lens-kit/

Not my style of photography, but it is always nice to see some love for MFT from another company. And I think a smart business move from them, since their film cameras are something of a fad product.

The multiple exposure lens is an interesting idea in itself. They put a shutter on the lens, so you can set your camera to a long exposure then open and close the lens's shutter for the effect.

2. SrPantuflas

SrPantuflas Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2013
    Chile, South America.
    i think lomography products are very fun.
    the only thing that i don't like are the prices (i bought an old XA2 in ebay for a fraction of their LOMO)

i mean if you want to go lo-fi (or sh!t quality if you want to call it) with your camera, should be cheap, (cap-lens, CCTV lenses, per example)

still, this look fun, specially the "multiple exposure" idea.

3. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Their prices do seem to be a bit high for their cameras. Though this lens kit is actually fairly reasonable. It works out to about $30 each on the lenses - about the same as a CCTV lens.

4. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    Oh I'm liking the multiple exposure thing. Maybe the fisheye too as I don't have the native ones lol.

5. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    More lenses in m43 mount are always good, IMO. I'm a fan of lo-fi lenses, $89 doesn't seem too bad I guess.

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm interested in the 12mm, and I'd buy it if sold separately for $30. I'd probably use the 24mm some, too, but not that fisheye.

I'm thinking a day out with a low-fi 3 prime kit would be fun. I'd take the Lomo 12mm f8, Oly 15mm f8 BCL, and 35mm f1.7 C mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

7. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I went over to Lomography's FB page, and some of their users seem to be feel offended and betrayed that Lomo would make lenses for digital cameras. I wasn't aware that people felt so strongly about it. I mean, I like analog cameras too, but the way some of these people talk, you'd think someone stabbed their mother or something. Wow.

8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Not surprising, typical hipster mentality from the people who shoot that sort of gear. "Oh, this is becoming mainstream now, it was so much better before people knew about it", "I was lomo before it was cool", etc. Half the appeal of lomo gear is being part of the "lomo crowd". Digital cameras are of course so passe :biggrin:

Though Holga has made lenses for DSLRs for many years, so I don't see what the fuss is about.

This kit looks like fun for not much money, similar to the toy lenses for the Pentax Q system. Its a shame they are all F8 though, at least with CCTV lenses you can get some fun apertures like F1.4 and F1.8. But finding CCTV lenses that actually cover the M43rds image circle and focus to infinity w/o modification can be a real hassle.

9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yeah, the C mount/CCTV stuff can handle all your m43 toy lens needs for 25mm and up, but until now, we didn't have any options wider than the Oly 15mm BCL except the 11mm Wanderlust Pinwide, unless I missed something. I'd really like to get my hands on that 12 mm. And I'd say f8 makes sense for wide-angle. Wonder what the minimum focus distance is. (It's quite long IMO on the BCL.)

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yeah I'm not ready to drop $$$ for the Oly 12 just yet. I'm none too bothered by the f/8. You'd be hard-pressed to find a good 12mm c-mount that that covers enough of the circle, on a budget. I should know, I've been looking for months :biggrin:

11. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for people who shell out a few hundred dollars for plastic cameras just to be cool. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I am a sucker for things like this. I have the Pinwide, 15mm BCL, a Holga plastic 24mm, a Holga "wheel of lenses thing" (which is truly rubbish), fish-eye converter, C-mounts...

Realistically, I guess a wide angle converter on a kit lens or 14mm would be "better" than the 12mm in this set. Still, I can't shake the appeal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Anyone actually put an order in for a set yet? I'm in the process of selling a few bits and bobs - will probably order a set after that.

14. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm going to hold off and see if the lenses get offered for purchase separately (Really mostly interested in the 12mm, although I would play with the 24mm as well. No interest in the fisheye.). Doubt it'll happen, though.

15. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    I'm just ordering one for a friend. Will report back whey it arrive.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I had the Olympus 15 mm BCL before it was cool to own a lens that was kind of Lomo for digital after lousy images from film was cool.

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Here's my take on it...you could shell out nearly 100 bucks for this and get 3 ho-hum lenses you'll probably get tired of quickly. (I love UWAs and fisheyes, but circular fisheye lenses get boring fast).

OR, you could save up a bit more ($150 more) and get a Samyang fisheye lens. Which lets you be just as creative, mess around with effects, etc, but while giving you a serious photography tool as well.

While I do like that there's more and more support for M4/3, I have no interest in this thing at this price...(for a lot less, I probably would pick one up...like a BCL...if it was 20 bucks, I'd probably slap one on my OM-D now and again).

18. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Where are you seeing the samyang for $239? Lowest I've seen is $275. Hook me up with one of those :biggrin:

19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    B&H...search for "Bower 7.5mm" ;) It's one of their many brands, all priced differently and all prices fluctuate from country to country...ie: in the US, from lowest to highest it's Bower, Rokinon, Samyang. In Korea, it's the other way around...the Bower/Rokinon are like 500-600 bucks here!!!...I've seen it as low as $199...I just picked it up for $239 a few days ago! :)

20. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I don't get those kind of prices here in my country. Locally the prices are close to USD400. If I ordered from B&H the shipping would probably double the price. Oh well...