Lomography’s Petzval Lens

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by boatman37210, Jul 26, 2013.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I saw it. I'd be more interested in one in a proper barrel mount for modern LF use. That said, maybe when some hipster gets tired of it, I can pick up one for my Nikon F2 for the rare uses it's good for.
  2. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Interesting link, thanks for posting, but no disrespect to anyone involved with the project, this seems like a load of sh*t!

That is complete nonsense and insulting to the public. I'm sure they're grand, but I'm sure lots of people can build "old" lens designs. Fair enough this will cover "full frame", that's something, but for everyone else, ever hear of a CCTV lens from eBay?

Or am I totally wrong and building such a lens to cover full frame is difficult?
  3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Well... kind of. The Petzval portrait popularized by the Dallmeyer patent portrait lens is a different breed of lens. The 16mm c mount swirlies come from comatic abberations in the extremes of the edges of the image circe, that wouldn't show up on those 16mm cameras. The petzval should show swirlies in any area not in focus and will deepen the swirlies as the image DoF gets further away from the curved focus plane. Also, the petzval design is known for incredible sharpness when in focus. Probably part of the reason in the old days why oval frames were in vogue, we have to remember everything in focus and sharp was the trend. The thing I think this lens is missing is the ability of the soft focus dial which was popular on those lens, like the Canon 135mm 2.8 soft focus. I do feel that is a glaring oversight. And really? waterhouse stops? A simple aperture would have been nice, especially at $499. Although f2.2 is a nice touch

I'll probably back it, as getting grimes to mount a brass lens to a canon or Nikon must be ridiculously expensive.
    • Like Like x 1