LOL, the saga of the loose lugs....diary....UPDATE

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

How's this for service...

Body shipped to Oly in UK.
    Oly contacted requesting body be returned.

Body recieved from PORTUGAL.

Now to get it returned to Amazon to meet the deadline

Sat 18th Aug...
    Lugs found to be loose, contemplated suicide but phoned Amazon instead.
    Received Email from Amazon saying the camera would be replaced on Mon 20th Aug.

Sun 19th Aug...
    Phone calls and emails to/from Amazon established that the camera would not be replaced on Mon but approval to replace it would, something lost in the translation.

Mon 20th Aug...
    Email from Amazon saying they could not get the approval untill Sat 25th Aug, profuse appologies.

I lost my cool and told them what I thought of their establishment and said to forget the replacement camera I would return it to Oly.

Tues 21st Aug...
    Packed up camera body and returned it to Oly.

Later I received an Email from Amazon......A OM-D EM-5 had been dispatched and will be with me on Wed, the old one to be returned in a couple of weeks.

The bad news is that if I don't meet the deadline they will charge me £1000.

Phoned Oly to explain the situation, the service guy said he would intercept the camera before repair/replacement and get it returned to me, so that I could return it to Amazon.

Wed 22nd Aug...
    Replacement camera arrived first thing this morning......with rock solid lugs.

So this is me dilemna....if the camera does not arrive from Oly in time to meet the deadline I will be forced to return the replacement camera.....Ho-Hum....
    or cough up £1000.

Then....the camera that has come back from Oly with the loose lugs I will have to return to Oly to get it fixed/replaced.

Are you all with me so far...?

Lets hope that Oly gets it's finger out and returnes the camera in time.

2. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Sorry to hear that :( I know many have had no problem with Amazon but something like this is the reason why I've always dealt with B&H or my local shop. No issues sorting out who is responsible. Don't let it get in the why of enjoying a nifty camera though :)
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yeesh, what a pain in the neck. I've had great experiences with Amazon customer service. I wonder if that's because I send Amazon half my salary :biggrin:.

I hope Oly gets you your camera back quickly. In the meanwhile, have you tried explaining to Amazon? They might get you an extension.
  4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I personally have never had a problem with returns to Amazon who have always responded as I would want them to and would always recommend using them to others following my experiences ( minor issues apart)
    I'm sure there must have been several incoming and outgoing messages between Amazon and Olympus as a result of your claim and I think the apparent confusion from Amazon can rightly be put down to them trying to sort out how to deal with your case behind the scenes
    I'm sure that if you email Amazon they will accept the camera back a couple of days late in the circumstances.
    I'm would hope in any case that you can return it in plenty of time
    It's a good job you noticed and questioned the loose lugs
    It would be interesting to hear from you with an update if there is one from Olympus although as the camera is going back via Amazon I don't suppose you would ever hear from Olympus
    It'll be interesting to see if others have the same problem with the lugs - I hope this doesn't turn into another 'GH1' scenario for Olympus' sake
  5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    How did you get in that situation? Why not just send it to Olympus for repairs in which youll get your camera back usually within 2 weeks.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Sounds like a real dilemma - good luck sorting it all out! :eek: