1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loggerhead Sea Turtle Nesting

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Pili, May 4, 2014.

1. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Female Loggerhead turtle nesting on Juno Beach.

Late April/Early May is the beginning of Loggerhead nesting season and they will continue to lay on the beach until September. This stretch of beach is popular for many species of sea turtle, including the huge Leatherbacks and is a prime area for turtle research. The loggerheads don't have great eyesight out of water but can be skittish until they start digging their nest. Once they start laying their eggs, they go into a trance like state and you can get very close without disturbing them. They also can't see red light so the red headlamp in the photos does not affect their behavior. Please do not use a white light if you find a turtle nesting, it is illegal here in FL!

Comments are always welcome, I can't choose which image I like best.

-Alex

14105650404_e554284908_c.
    Loggerhead Nesting 1
    by apilnick, on Flickr

14125344873_3b28f73046_c.
    Loggerhead Nesting 3
    by apilnick, on Flickr

14102128272_01bae4c572_c.
    Loggerhead Nesting 2
    by apilnick, on Flickr

14102108392_f98a0ecc10_c.
    De-fished Turtle Trail
    by apilnick, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Great shots, and always a touching experience. When did you first spot her?

CAVEAT If you are going to be in an area where this is happening, and wish to try and observe, please read up on safe procedures to use. Loggerheads are still endangered, and if you are unaware, it is extremely easy to disrupt the nesting process (abandoned for a year). If you do spot a nest, pleace contact a local DNR office to report it (they monitor and will even move nests that are not in viable locations).

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Absolutely need to be careful, agreed. My close friend (who was with me) was a researcher at the local research center for a number of years so I felt comfortable getting close with his guidance. The nests are very well documented (well only about 10% are recorded actually) in this area.

We walked a 2 mile stretch of beach looking for Leatherbacks, but stumbled on this Loggerhead right near one of the beach entrances. We spotted her just as she started her crawl and gave her about 30 minutes to dig her nest before approaching.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    This is very cool - good for you! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Glad to hear you had an expert with you. Worked for a bit on the Ga coast, so have seen a couple of loggerheads nesting. Something about it just seems to be otherworldly, and the red in your photos helps convey that.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Yes definitely this time of the year. How early in the evening was this?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Around 11:30pm if the time was set correctly in my camera, could have been 12:30. My buddy mentioned that they tend to prefer coming ashore during a rising tide (high tide was about 3:00am that night).

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Very cool shots!

• Like Like x 1
  9. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I really like the buildings in the background. It captures how sad it is that humans have almost totally taken over their environment.
    I think the second one is my favorite.