Loggerhead Sea Turtle laying eggs

Discussion in 'Nature' started by jon595, Jun 12, 2013.

1. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    While on a family vacation at Myrtle Beach, we witnessed a Loggerhead Sea Turtle laying her eggs about 50 yards from the beach house we're staying at. Normally, this only happens late at night, but we got very lucky and she was on shore as the sun was going down. The first few shots were at ISO 1600 and the one of the turtle going back into the ocean was taken at 1/10 sec, f/1.8, ISO 25600. I have never used the max ISO of the E-M5, but I was very glad to have it, because at this point, it was very dark and flash couldn't be used because it would distract/disturb the turtle. This is probably a once in a lifetime thing for us, so it was pretty awesome.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Great shots. Having seen this in person, it is a magical scene. Thanks for doing everything "right".

For everyone who doesn't know about them, these turtles are easily spooked when coming ashore for the first time. Once they splash around and make their "nest", they start to lay eggs and go into kind of a stupor. At this point, you can get as close to them as you want to take pictures. Flash is usable then, but not before (during approach). I would also contact the local DNR (dept. natural resources) office as they usually tag them, and possibly relocate the eggs for a better survival chance. If you ever see baby turtles being born and headed towards the water, don't use flash. They instinctively use the whites of the waves as the direction to head, and other lights can disturb them.